Kinetic friction and inclined planes

In summary, the problem involves a block of ice sliding down an incline with an angle of 40.7°. In trial 1, there is no friction and the block takes time t to reach the bottom. In trial 2, there is friction and the block slides down in 3.36t time. The coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) is needed to solve for trial 2. Using the equations for frictional force and components, the acceleration is found to be 6.397 m/s^2 for trial 1. Using this and the given information, the value for μk is calculated to be 0.78394 for trial 2.
iJamJL

Homework Statement

A block of ice of mass m slides down an incline that makes an angle θ = 40.7° with the horizontal. In trial 1 there is no friction; the block starts at rest and takes time t to reach the bottom of the incline. In trial 2 there is friction, and the the block slides down the incline in time 3.36t. Find μk, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and the incline in trial 2.

Homework Equations

Frictional force = μk * Normal
Components
d= Vi*t + [(a*t^2)/2]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've done so far, but I'm not sure if it's correct (I always have trouble with these problems that don't give all the numbers..). I've drawn the two inclined planes, each for a trial. The force that the block is going down the plane is mg*sin(40.7). The Normal= mg*cos(40.7).

To begin this problem, I think we need to find the acceleration. What I've done is in the first trial, the force that causes the mass to slide down the incline is F=mg*sin(40.7). What I did to find the acceleration is:

mg*sin(40.7) = ma
9.81*sin(40.7) = a
a = 6.397

Since the distances in both trials are equal, I set:

[(a-first)*t^2]/2 = [(a-second)*t^2]/2

6.397*t^2 = a-second* (3.36t)^2
6.397*t^2 = a-second* 11.2896 t^2
6.397/11.2896 = a-second
a-second = .5666

In the second trial, the force that makes the mass go down the incline is:

F=ma
F=m*(.5666)
Frictional force = μk * mg*cos(40.7)

Fnet = mg*sin(40.7) - (μk * mg*cos(40.7)) = m(.5666)
6.397 - 7.4373(μk) = .5666
μk=(.78394)

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just wondering if anyone looked this over..

Related to Kinetic friction and inclined planes

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of force that acts between two surfaces in contact when one or both of the surfaces are in motion.

2. How does kinetic friction affect objects on inclined planes?

Kinetic friction acts in a direction opposite to the direction of motion, so it will slow down the motion of objects on inclined planes.

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect kinetic friction?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force of kinetic friction will be. This is because more of the weight of the object will be acting perpendicular to the surface, increasing the normal force and thus the friction force.

4. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be determined for inclined planes?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by measuring the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity on an inclined plane. The coefficient can then be calculated using the formula μ = Fk/N, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Fk is the force of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

5. Can kinetic friction be completely eliminated on inclined planes?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate kinetic friction on inclined planes. However, it can be minimized by using materials with low coefficients of friction and reducing the angle of the inclined plane.