Kinetic friction and distance problem.

In summary, a car with an initial velocity is traveling on a road with a coefficient of friction of 0.5. It then applies brakes and travels 10 meters before coming to a stop. The problem is to find the initial velocity of the car. To solve this problem, we can use the equations Vi^2=Vf^2 + 2ax and KE=1/2mv^2. However, since the mass is not given, we must find a way to relate the two equations in order to cancel out the mass. One possible approach is to assume a mass of m and then use F=MA, considering the normal force and coefficient of friction. Further working on this problem is needed to find a solution.
johnf34

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at a given velocity on a road with a coefficient of friction of 0.5 when it suddenly has to apply the brakes. Given that it travels 10 meters before coming to a stop what is the initial velocity of the car?

Homework Equations

Vi^2=Vf^2 + 2ax KE=1/2mv^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I had some trouble with this since the mass isn't given, i supposed i had to figure out a way to relate two equations so that the mass could cancel but i had a hard time doing so. Can anybody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume a mass of m, and then use F=MA. Consider the normal force and coefficient of friction.

Please post your working as far as you got.

Related to Kinetic friction and distance problem.

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be put into motion.

3. How is kinetic friction calculated?

Kinetic friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) by the normal force (N) exerted on the object.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the coefficient of kinetic friction, the weight of the object, and the roughness of the surfaces in contact.

5. How does distance affect kinetic friction?

The distance an object travels does not directly affect the amount of kinetic friction. However, the longer the distance, the more work is done against kinetic friction, which results in a decrease in the object's velocity over time.