Kinetic energy transfer problem

In summary, the problem involves a 0.005kg coin with an initial velocity of 25cm/s colliding with a 0.015kg coin at rest. After the collision, the 0.005kg coin has a velocity of -12.5cm/s. The task is to find the transferred kinetic energy, which is the gained energy of the coin initially at rest. To do this, the formula E_{K}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 can be used, and the final kinetic energy of the coin can be found by substituting the final velocity. However, the calculated answer of 1.172 does not match the expected answer of 1.1x10^-4J, indicating
Port
ok i have a problem with a 0.005kg coin that has an initial velocity of 25cm/s that hits a 0.015kg coin that is at rest. atfer the collision the 0.005kg coin has a velocity of -12.5cm/s. What i have to find is the Kinetic energy transferred was. i got the final velocity for the 0.015kg coin which is 12.5cm/s but i don't know how to figure out the amt of kinetic energy transfer is can someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Transferred kinetic energy is that which is gained by the coin that was initially at rest. Therefore, you can use

[tex]E_{K}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

to find the final kinetic energy of that coin, which, since initial [itex]E_{K}=0[/itex], is the transferred [itex]E_{K}[/itex].

Last edited:
but when i do that i get 1.172 for an answer but it says in my book that the answer is 1.1x10^-4J?

Take a look at your units...

I have an 8lb sledge hammer, traveling 50 mph hitting an immovable object. The energy created is Ek = 1/2 mv^2. Is the energy transfer to the immovable object the same amount?

Related to Kinetic energy transfer problem

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it transferred?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is transferred when an object collides with another object, or when a force is applied to it.

2. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of an object?

The kinetic energy of an object can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, and sound energy, depending on the type of motion and the objects involved in the transfer.

4. What factors affect the transfer of kinetic energy?

The factors that affect the transfer of kinetic energy include the mass, velocity, and type of motion of the objects involved, as well as any external forces or obstacles that may hinder or influence the transfer.

5. What real-world applications involve the transfer of kinetic energy?

The transfer of kinetic energy is involved in many real-world applications, such as the movement of vehicles, the generation of electricity through wind turbines, and the motion of objects in sports like basketball or golf.