Kinetic energy to thermal energy

In summary, the question is asking about the correct way to calculate the change in temperature of a car's brakes when it is traveling at a velocity of 55 mph. The equation Q = c m ΔT is used, and after converting the velocity to meters per second and calculating the kinetic energy of the car, the change in temperature is found to be 134.56. However, there is a crucial piece of information missing - the number of brakes on the car. Assuming 4 brakes, the role of moment of inertia is mentioned but is ultimately deemed insignificant compared to the linear kinetic energy of the car.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2015-5-14_23-5-6.png

Homework Equations

Q = c m ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

so converting 55 mph to meters per sec gives me a velocity of 24.58 m/s

kinetic energy of car is 1/2 m v2

i set 1/2 m v2 = c m ΔT
plugging in v and c and masses of both

ΔT = 134.56

is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a central piece of information missing here: How many brakes does the car have? That is, how many of the car's wheels have brakes.

Orodruin said:
There is a central piece of information missing here: How many brakes does the car have? That is, how many of the car's wheels have brakes.
so there is no way i can answer this question? or do i just assume its 4? 1 for each wheel

goonking said:
so there is no way i can answer this question? or do i just assume its 4? 1 for each wheel

Unless you are a mind reader, no. I am not very familiar with cars, but I would assume that either all wheels or one pair of wheels would have brakes.

Orodruin said:
Unless you are a mind reader, no. I am not very familiar with cars, but I would assume that either all wheels or one pair of wheels would have brakes.
So if we choose 4 wheels as it is most common, then has moment of inertia a role here?

Raghav Gupta said:
So if we choose 4 wheels as it is most common, then has moment of inertia a role here?
In principle, yes, but we have no information on the moments of inertia of the wheels or their radius. Besides, it would be small compared with the linear KE of the vehicle.

Likes Raghav Gupta

Related to Kinetic energy to thermal energy

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy converted to thermal energy?

Kinetic energy can be converted to thermal energy through the process of friction. When two objects rub against each other, the kinetic energy of their motion is converted into heat energy, increasing the temperature of the objects and their surroundings.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy being converted to thermal energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy being converted to thermal energy include rubbing your hands together, a car's brakes heating up while slowing down, or a person running and generating body heat.

4. Is kinetic energy always converted to thermal energy?

No, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or electrical energy, depending on the situation and the objects involved.

5. How is the amount of thermal energy produced from kinetic energy determined?

The amount of thermal energy produced from kinetic energy can be determined using the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, the amount of thermal energy produced will be equal to the amount of kinetic energy lost.