Kinetic energy, riddle me this

In summary, the conversation discusses two experiments, A and B, involving a gun and a cartridge. In experiment A, a bullet is shot and the total energy is a combination of heat and projectile energy, while experiment B does not involve a bullet and only produces heat energy. The question arises about where the projectile energy comes from in experiment A, as it is not converted from heat energy. The response clarifies that the energy in both experiments is created through high-pressure gas, with the difference being that in experiment A, most of the energy is used to move the bullet, while in experiment B, all of the energy is used to move the air, resulting in extra heat energy.
quadcatfly
Imagine two experiments A and B.

In experiment A I load a gun with a cartridge and shoot a bullet. Total energy in this experiment will be E(heat) + E(projectile). I include recoil in E(projectile). E(heat) in its turn will heat the muzzle and some air. Done.

In experiment B I do everything the same, except the is no bullet (e.g. no projectile). Same gun, same cartridge and the amount of gunpowder in it. So I pull the trigger. Total energy of this system will be E(heat) which will amount to the same level as in experiment A since I am burning the same amount of gunpowder under the same conditions.

I can't quite wrap my head around it.It turns out that in my experiment A I got E(projectile) out of nothing? Since it obviously didn't convert from E(heat) as clearly demonstrated by the experiment B.

Someone please enlighten me !

Physics news on Phys.org
quadcatfly said:
In experiment B I do everything the same, except the is no bullet (e.g. no projectile). Same gun, same cartridge and the amount of gunpowder in it. So I pull the trigger. Total energy of this system will be E(heat) which will amount to the same level as in experiment A since I am burning the same amount of gunpowder under the same conditions.

No you're not, there's no bullet in experiment B. In both cases you create high-pressure gas, which is going to expand. In the first case, most of the energy will go to the bullet, in the second case, all of the energy will end up moving the air in and in front of the barrel, and this energy will eventually up as extra heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JuanC97

Related to Kinetic energy, riddle me this

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is described as the energy of motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. This means that the kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity.

What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a rolling ball, a swinging pendulum, and a flying airplane.

Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as thermal energy, sound energy, and electrical energy. This is known as the principle of energy conservation.

How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is only present when an object is in motion, while potential energy can be stored and converted into kinetic energy when the object is in motion.