Kinetic energy of Rotating Body (in 3D)

In summary, when calculating T, make sure to include the cross-terms of the inertia matrix and multiply them by two to get the correct answer.
Curl
Ok here is what I did:

[tex]
T=\int \vec{\tau} \cdot d\vec{\theta } = \int\frac{\mathrm{d} \vec{L}}{\mathrm{d} t}\cdot d\vec{\theta } = \int \vec{L}\cdot d\vec{\omega} = \int I_{ij}\vec{\omega}\cdot d\vec{\omega}[/tex]
Where I is the inertia matrix.

when I carry that out, I get:
T= 0.5*(I11wx2+I22wy2+I33wz2) + 2*(I12wxwy+I13wxwz+I23wzwy)

but the real answer has no factor of 2 in the second term. What's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The factor of two is likely due to the fact that you are not taking into account the cross-terms of the inertia matrix. The inertia matrix is composed of terms such as I11wx2, I12wxwy, I13wxwz, I22wy2, I23wzwy, and I33wz2. Because the matrix is symmetric, the cross-terms are equal. That means that I12 = I21, I13 = I31, and I23 = I32. Therefore, when you calculate the second term in your equation, you should take into account the fact that each of these cross-terms appears twice in the inertia matrix, and therefore should be multiplied by two in the equation.

Related to Kinetic energy of Rotating Body (in 3D)

1. What is kinetic energy of a rotating body?

Kinetic energy of a rotating body is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotation. It is a type of mechanical energy that is dependent on the object's mass, velocity, and rotational speed.

2. How is kinetic energy of a rotating body calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of a rotating body is 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion.

3. Does the shape of a rotating body affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the shape of a rotating body can affect its kinetic energy. This is because the moment of inertia is dependent on the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a higher kinetic energy.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a rotating body change with its rotational speed?

The kinetic energy of a rotating body is directly proportional to its rotational speed. This means that as the rotational speed increases, the kinetic energy also increases. This relationship is described by the formula 1/2 * I * ω^2.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a rotating body be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a rotating body cannot be negative. Kinetic energy is always a positive quantity, as it represents the energy an object has due to its motion. If the rotational speed of a body decreases, its kinetic energy may become zero, but it cannot be negative.