Kinetic Energy of bullet fired from gun

In summary, a .035 kg bullet fired from a .23 m barrel experiences a force of 4500 N and has a kinetic energy of 1035 J.
lolbob07
Hi everyone. I'm quite troubled with this physics question.

A .035 kg bullet is fired from a .23 m barrel. The bullet experiences a force of 4500 N while in the gun barrel. What is the kinetic energy of the bullet as it leaves the gun barrel?

I don't understand how to figure out the velocity to calculate the KE. Is it possible to calculate the KE from GPE or Work?

Our teacher has not taught us this and I don't understand why he is expecting us to answer this question...
(btw. I'm in year 10)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lolbob07 said:
Is it possible to calculate the KE from GPE or Work?
Yes. Look up the work-energy theorem. (See: Work-Energy Principle)

Calculate the work done by that force. (Assume that it's constant.)

So, If I assume It is constant. The answer = 4500 N x .23 m = 1035 J?

Last edited:
lolbob07 said:
So, If I assume It is constant. The answer = 4500 N x .23 m = 1035 J?
Yep. You got it.

Doc Al said:
Yep. You got it.

Thanks. I don't understand why our teacher gave us this question when we hadn't learned the work energy theorem... Anyways thanks.

You could also solve it by applying Newtons laws and equations of motion.

CWatters said:
You could also solve it by applying Newtons laws and equations of motion.

We have not learned equations of motion. I have no clue about them.

Pity you didn't use the template. Under 2) relevant equations you would have filled in something, right? I mean by the time you are in year 10 there must have been something comining by that can be related to this exercise ?
What would you have filled in if you absolutely would have needed to fill in something ?

Classics :

force (N) = mass (kg) * ( constant ) acceleration ( m/s/s )

You have mass ( 0.035 kg ) and force ( 4,500 N ), so, transpose equation for acceleration :
acceleration = force / mass
acceleration = 128,571.43 m/s/s

With the acceleration (a) and distance (s), you can use the classic equation :
v ² = u ² + ( 2 * a * s )
u = initial velocity which = 0, so drop it, then transpose for v ( final velocity )
So :
v = square root ( 2 * a * s )
v = 243.193 m/s

Now find the KE from :
KE = ½ * mass * velocity ²
KE = 1,035 Joules

Likes 1 person
I'm still wondering if Bob had an empty toolbag to begin with, or if there was something he could use to work out this exercise...

BvU said:
I'm still wondering if Bob had an empty toolbag to begin with, or if there was something he could use to work out this exercise...

Umm yeah Sorry. I didn't realize they were 3 columns that we could fill in. Because with my second question I asked on another thread I realized. :/

Related to Kinetic Energy of bullet fired from gun

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

3. How does the kinetic energy of a bullet fired from a gun compare to other objects?

The kinetic energy of a bullet fired from a gun is significantly higher than most other objects due to its high velocity and relatively small mass.

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a bullet fired from a gun?

The main factors that affect the kinetic energy of a bullet fired from a gun are the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as any external forces such as air resistance.

5. How does the kinetic energy of a bullet impact its penetration power?

The kinetic energy of a bullet is directly related to its penetration power. The higher the kinetic energy, the greater the penetration power and potential damage to the target.