Kinetic Energy in Spherical Coordinates

In summary: You should have written$$\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} = \dot{r}\,\hat{r} + r\dot{\theta}\,\hat{\theta} + r\sin\theta\,\dot{\phi}\,\hat{\phi}.$$ Now you need to square this.
mia705

Homework Statement

Derive the expression for kinetic energy of a classical particle in spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

I believe the answer I am supposed to reach is:
[tex]T=\frac{1}{2} m (\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\theta^2} + r^2\dot{\phi ^2}sin^2\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x^2} + \dot{y^2} + \dot{z^2})[/tex]
Knowing that:
[tex] x=rsin\theta cos\phi [/tex]
[tex] y=rsin\theta sin\phi [/tex]
[tex] z=rcos\theta[/tex]

After plugging these in and working it out, I came up with:
[tex] T= \frac{1}{2}mr^2 [/tex]

My question now is, how do I get from the answer that I currently have to the solution I am trying to get to (that I listed above in part 2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you remember to take the time derivatives?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that?

mia705 said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that?
##\dot x = dx/dt##. Did you find an expression for ##\dot x##? Note that your answer does not have the correct units [dimensions] for energy.

I think I might understand now.

Since:
[tex]\dot{x}=\frac{dx}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{y}=\frac{dy}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{z}=\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

Then:
[tex]\dot{x}=\frac{d(rsin \theta cos \phi)}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{y}=\frac{d(r sin\theta sin\phi)}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{z}=\frac{d(rcos \theta)}{dt}[/tex].

And since [itex]dr=dr \hat{r} + r d\theta \hat{\theta} + rsin \theta d\phi \hat{\phi} [/itex], this would then make [itex] \frac{dr}{dt} = \dot{r} + r \dot{\theta} + rsin\theta \dot{\phi} [/itex]

Now, as I did before with squaring x, y, and z to get 1 (in my original post), the answer then becomes the solution of [itex] (\frac{dr}{dt})^2 [/itex].

Which, when put back into my original answer is: [itex] T = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + r^2 sin\theta^2 \dot{\phi}^2)[/itex].

Is that more along the correct lines of thinking?

mia705 said:
I think I might understand now.

Since:
[tex]\dot{x}=\frac{dx}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{y}=\frac{dy}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{z}=\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

Then:
[tex]\dot{x}=\frac{d(rsin \theta cos \phi)}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{y}=\frac{d(r sin\theta sin\phi)}{dt} \ \ \ \dot{z}=\frac{d(rcos \theta)}{dt}[/tex].
Did you work these out? You have ##x=x(r,\theta,\phi)##, so
$$\dot{x} = \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} \dot{r} + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \dot{\theta} + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi} \dot{\phi}.$$ Just calculate the partial derivatives and grind it out.

And since [itex]dr=dr \hat{r} + r d\theta \hat{\theta} + rsin \theta d\phi \hat{\phi} [/itex], this would then make [itex] \frac{dr}{dt} = \dot{r} + r \dot{\theta} + rsin\theta \dot{\phi} [/itex]
You're being too sloppy with your notation, so what you wrote doesn't make sense. You have dr on both the lefthand side and righthand side of the first equation, but they don't represent the same quantity. You should have written
$$d\vec{r} = dr\,\hat{r} + r\,d\theta\,\hat{\theta} + r\sin\theta\,d\phi\,\hat{\phi}.$$ In the next equation, the unit vectors just mysteriously disappeared.

Related to Kinetic Energy in Spherical Coordinates

1. What is kinetic energy in spherical coordinates?

Kinetic energy in spherical coordinates is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its motion in three-dimensional space. It is the energy that an object has because of its velocity and its mass.

2. How is kinetic energy in spherical coordinates calculated?

Kinetic energy in spherical coordinates is calculated using the formula E=1/2mv^2, where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object in spherical coordinates.

3. What are the units of kinetic energy in spherical coordinates?

The units of kinetic energy in spherical coordinates are joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). In some contexts, it may also be expressed in electronvolts (eV) or ergs (erg).

4. How does kinetic energy in spherical coordinates relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy in spherical coordinates and potential energy are two types of energy that can exist in a system. They are related through the conservation of energy principle, where potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of kinetic energy in spherical coordinates?

Kinetic energy in spherical coordinates has many practical applications, such as in the study of planetary motion, the motion of particles in a gas, and the motion of objects in a fluid. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry and physics.