Kinetic Energy in Spherical Coordinates? (For the Lagrangian)

In summary, when dealing with a Lagrangian problem in spherical coordinates, the expression for kinetic energy is given by T = ½m(r²θ̇² + r²sin²θφ̇² + r²sin²θsin²φθ̇²). To derive this expression, simply plug in the converted spherical coordinates (x = r sin θ cos φ, y = r sin θ sin φ, z = r cos θ) into the original expression for kinetic energy and simplify.
pergradus
I'm doing a Lagrangian problem in spherical coordinates, and I was unsure how to express the kinetic energy, so I looked it up and wiki states it should be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian#In_the_spherical_coordinate_system

Which would give me the correct answer, but I'm unsure how one would derive that expression. Can someone explain it? You don't necessarily have to do all the work out, just an explanation of the steps would help greatly.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The conversion to spherical coordinates is

x = r sin θ cos φ
y = r sin θ sin φ
z = r cos θ

Plug these into the expression for kinetic energy: T = ½m(x·2 + y·2 + z·2) and simplify.

Ok I'll try it! That looks simple... doh!

Related to Kinetic Energy in Spherical Coordinates? (For the Lagrangian)

What is kinetic energy in spherical coordinates?

Kinetic energy in spherical coordinates is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its motion in a three-dimensional space. It is a measure of the energy an object has due to its mass and velocity in a spherical coordinate system.

How is kinetic energy calculated in spherical coordinates?

Kinetic energy in spherical coordinates can be calculated using the Lagrangian method, which is a mathematical approach that takes into account the position, velocity, and mass of an object in a spherical coordinate system. It involves using a coordinate system consisting of a radial distance, an azimuthal angle, and a polar angle to calculate the kinetic energy of an object.

Why is the Lagrangian method used to calculate kinetic energy in spherical coordinates?

The Lagrangian method is used to calculate kinetic energy in spherical coordinates because it takes into account the entire motion of an object in a three-dimensional space. This method is more comprehensive and accurate compared to other methods, as it takes into account the changing orientation of an object in a spherical coordinate system.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and velocity in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

How is kinetic energy conserved in spherical coordinates?

In a closed system, the total kinetic energy in spherical coordinates remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, and it states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In other words, the kinetic energy of an object in a spherical coordinate system can be transformed into other forms of energy, but the total amount of energy remains constant.