Kinetic Energy in Reference Frames

In summary, the equation K'sys=1/2MtotalVcm2+1/2\muVreli2 represents the total kinetic energy in a reference frame. The first part of the equation represents the total kinetic energy required to conserve momentum in the system, while the second part represents the kinetic energy that can be converted. The use of the center of mass velocity and mu distinguishes between different forms of energy and makes the math easier.
aclark609
K'sys=1/2MtotalVcm2+1/2[itex]\mu[/itex]Vreli2

I understand this equation represents the total kinetic energy in a reference frame. What I'm not getting out of this is the overall concept. I understand that the first part of the equation is supposed to represent the total kinetic energy required to conserve momentum in the system, but I don't know how.

In other words, how is taking the kinetic energy of the total mass of the system using the center of mass velocity equal to the energy needed to conserve momentum. Why would you use the total mass and the center of mass velocity? Perhaps I need to understand the concept of center of mass velocity a little better and it's purpose.

Same for the second part. Why would you use mu to find the kinetic energy that can be converted? Is it not possible to do it any other way? Perhaps this is the easiest?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aclark609 said:
K'sys=1/2MtotalVcm2+1/2[itex]\mu[/itex]Vreli2

I understand this equation represents the total kinetic energy in a reference frame. What I'm not getting out of this is the overall concept. I understand that the first part of the equation is supposed to represent the total kinetic energy required to conserve momentum in the system, but I don't know how.
How would you do it?

In other words, how is taking the kinetic energy of the total mass of the system using the center of mass velocity equal to the energy needed to conserve momentum. Why would you use the total mass and the center of mass velocity? Perhaps I need to understand the concept of center of mass velocity a little better and it's purpose.
Yes - it is not "center of mass velocity" but "the velocity of the center of mass" and it is frame-dependent.

Same for the second part. Why would you use mu to find the kinetic energy that can be converted? Is it not possible to do it any other way? Perhaps this is the easiest?
It is possible to do it in many different ways. This way distinguishes between different forms the energy takes so it makes the math easier.

Related to Kinetic Energy in Reference Frames

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is a reference frame in relation to kinetic energy?

A reference frame is a set of coordinates or a system used to measure the motion of an object. It is important in calculating kinetic energy because the velocity of an object is relative to the reference frame.

4. Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

5. How does kinetic energy change in different reference frames?

Kinetic energy remains constant in different reference frames as long as the velocity of the object is measured relative to the reference frame. However, the numerical value of kinetic energy may vary depending on the chosen reference frame.