Kinetic energy ignoring friction

In summary, when a man pushes two trucks for 5 seconds with equal force and ignoring friction, the lighter truck will have more kinetic energy afterwards due to its lower mass and higher acceleration. This can be explained using Newton's second law and the equation for kinetic energy.
David Earnsure

Homework Statement

2 trucks, one with twice as much mass than the other, are at rest on separate tracks. A man pushes each truck for 5 seconds. If you ignore friction and assume equal force is exerted on both trucks - which truck will have the most kinetic energy afterwards?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Straight away I would say that the lighter truck would have more kinetic energy as it would take less force to move it, but as friction is being ignored and there is an equal force on both of them this stumps me, one of the options is that there is not enough information to answer the question but I feel like because friction is being ignored and there's equal force there is a really simple answer to this. I would appreciate someone steering me in the right direction so I can find the answer out for myself.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do the accelerations compare? The final velocities after 5 seconds?

Thankyou for your prompt reply,

Well since a = F/m and I know that the force is the same but that the masses are different, I can say that the acceleration of the heavy truck (x) would be half that of the lighter truck (y).
For example:
F=5
mass(x) = 2
mass(y) = 1

a(x) = 5/2 = 2.5
a(y) = 5/1 = 5

For the final velocity as both are stationary to begin with I can say that vf = at, meaning vf(x) would be half that of vf(y).

Since KE = 1/2m*v^2 if velocity is doubled KE will then be quadrupled (as velocity is squared) however as the lighter truck (y) is half the mass of heavier truck (x) it means that the KE of (y) is only double that of (x).

Therefore the lighter truck has more KE.

Thanks! (if I have somehow managed to go completely wrong with my explanation please let me know)

You can apply Newton's law too, F=dp/dt

David Earnsure said:
Thankyou for your prompt reply,

Well since a = F/m and I know that the force is the same but that the masses are different, I can say that the acceleration of the heavy truck (x) would be half that of the lighter truck (y).
For example:
F=5
mass(x) = 2
mass(y) = 1

a(x) = 5/2 = 2.5
a(y) = 5/1 = 5

For the final velocity as both are stationary to begin with I can say that vf = at, meaning vf(x) would be half that of vf(y).

Since KE = 1/2m*v^2 if velocity is doubled KE will then be quadrupled (as velocity is squared) however as the lighter truck (y) is half the mass of heavier truck (x) it means that the KE of (y) is only double that of (x).

Therefore the lighter truck has more KE.

Thanks! (if I have somehow managed to go completely wrong with my explanation please let me know)
Perfect!

Related to Kinetic energy ignoring friction

1. What is kinetic energy ignoring friction?

Kinetic energy ignoring friction is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion, disregarding any energy lost through friction or other external forces.

2. How is kinetic energy ignoring friction calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy ignoring friction is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. Why is friction ignored in calculating kinetic energy?

Friction is ignored in calculating kinetic energy because it is considered to be a conservative force, meaning it does not contribute to the overall change in energy of the system. Therefore, it is not included in the calculation of kinetic energy.

4. What are some examples of kinetic energy ignoring friction?

Some examples of kinetic energy ignoring friction include a ball rolling down a hill, a car moving on a flat road, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.

5. How does kinetic energy ignoring friction relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy ignoring friction and potential energy are two forms of mechanical energy that are interrelated. As an object gains kinetic energy, it loses potential energy, and vice versa. In the absence of external forces, the sum of an object's kinetic and potential energy remains constant.