Kinetic energy and rigid bodies

In summary, when discussing kinetic energy, it is necessary to specify both the axis and the point around which the body is rotating. The value of the moment of inertia is dependent on the axis of rotation.
Niles

Homework Statement

Does it make sense to talk about kinetic energy without specifying, which axis the body is rotation about? I mean, since K = ½ * I * w^2, I have to say that " ... the kinetic energy of the body around the x-axis is ...", right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Does it make sense to talk about kinetic energy without specifying, which axis the body is rotation about? I mean, since K = ½ * I * w^2, I have to say that " ... the kinetic energy of the body around the x-axis is ...", right?

Not only you have to say around what axis it is rotating but in addition you have to say around what point! In other words, you have to specify completely the axis around which the object rotates (and notice that the value of the moment of inertia depends on what is the axis around which the object revolves).

Ok, good - then I have understood it correctly :-)

Thanks!

Related to Kinetic energy and rigid bodies

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the energy of motion.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and mass?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

How does kinetic energy affect rigid bodies?

Kinetic energy is important in predicting the motion of rigid bodies. It is used to determine the amount of work needed to change the velocity or direction of a rigid body, and is also used in calculating the rotational kinetic energy of a rigid body.