Kinetic energy after falling to 100m

In summary, the given problem involves a 250 g object dropped from a height of 150 m and asks for the kinetic energy after falling to 100 m. The appropriate equations used to solve this problem are V2^2 = V1^2 +2ad and Ek = 1/2 mv^2. The solution involves finding the final velocity using the kinematics equation and then using that value to calculate the kinetic energy. Alternatively, one could find the change in gravitational potential energy and equate it to the kinetic energy. The final answer is 120J.
Smartgurl

Homework Statement

A 250 g object is dropped from a height of 150 m. What is the kinetic energy after falling to 100m

Homework Equations

V2^2 = V1^2 +2ad
Ek = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the kinematics equation to find my v2 then I used this to find Ek. I got the answer 120J but I'm not sure if I'm doing this right

Physics news on Phys.org
Smartgurl said:

Homework Statement

A 250 g object is dropped from a height of 150 m. What is the kinetic energy after falling to 100m

Homework Equations

V2^2 = V1^2 +2ad
Ek = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the kinematics equation to find my v2 then I used this to find Ek. I got the answer 120J but I'm not sure if I'm doing this right
That solution should work, alternatively you could find the change in the gravitational potential energy and equate that change to the kinetic energy.

Related to Kinetic energy after falling to 100m

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy after falling to 100m?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m represents the mass of the object and v represents the velocity.

2. How does the height of the fall affect the kinetic energy?

The height of the fall does not directly affect the kinetic energy. However, it does affect the velocity of the falling object, which is a factor in the kinetic energy formula. The higher the fall, the greater the velocity and therefore the greater the kinetic energy.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the kinetic energy?

The mass of the object directly affects the kinetic energy. The greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy, as seen in the kinetic energy formula.

4. Is the kinetic energy after falling to 100m different for different objects?

Yes, the kinetic energy will be different for different objects, as it is dependent on both the mass and velocity of the object. Two objects with the same mass but different velocities will have different kinetic energies.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy after falling to 100m?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy, depending on the circumstances of the fall. For example, if the falling object collides with another object, some of the kinetic energy will be transferred and converted into potential energy upon impact.