Kinetic and Gravitational Energy Question

In summary: To solve this problem, the kinetic energy of the student is equated with the work done by the frictional force, using the formula d = W/F. However, because the collision between the student and the box is elastic, the student's kinetic energy is not completely transferred to the box, so the momentum and kinetic energy equations must be used to find the box's final velocity, which can then be substituted into the work equation to find the distance the box will move after being hit 6 times.
NeomiXD
A dim but resourceful student has a summer job in a factory moving boxes. The 50 kg student finds that if he runs at a speed of 5.8 m/s and then dives head first into the boxes, he can move them across the floor. If the boxes have a mass of 65 kg and the force of friction between the boxes and the floor is 382 N, how far will he move the boxes after hitting it six times?

How am I suppose to solve this question?

m of student = 50 kg
m of boxes = 65 kg
v = 5.8 m/s
force of friction = 382 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you relate force with work? Can you do this to find the work done by the frictional force?

Work is done whenever a force causes an object to move...but I don't understand how the force of friction is involved in the process of finding the distance for this question (what formulas are used?).

What's the formula for work?

w = F x d

You have the force (F), and you need to find the distance (d). Do you know where w could come from?

Gravitational potential energy?

But you don't have any information on height - you have information on the student's velocity. This should tell you the type of energy you need to use for w.

I think the floor might be level, so the gravitational potential energy is probably not changed when the boxes are moved.

Say, what about that fellow who runs and dives head first into the boxes? Do you think there might be something wrong with him?

Pi-Bond said:
But you don't have any information on height - you have information on the student's velocity. This should tell you the type of energy you need to use for w.

Kinetic energy? So you have to find the Kinetic energy of the student? If so then the Kinetic energy would be 145 J.

Yes, you can equate it with the work done by the frictional force to find the distance (d). This works because the kinetic energy is dissipated by the frictional force.

So I should now use the formula d = W/F, where F is the force of friction (382 N)?

A point for the helpers in this thread to consider: When the student dives headlong into the boxes, will this be considered an elastic or an inelastic collision? Will it make a difference to the outcome? If so, how? :smile:

I assume an elastic collision so the kinetic energy is constant in the collision. Of course, this won't be possible in real life, but the question doesn't mention anything either!

@NeomiXD - Yes the d you get should be for one dive. You can multiply your answer by 6 to get the total distance.

Pi-Bond said:
I assume an elastic collision so the kinetic energy is constant in the collision. Of course, this won't be possible in real life, but the question doesn't mention anything either!

In an elastic collision the KE may be conserved but it will be split between the box and the student...

Pi-Bond said:

@NeomiXD - Yes the d you get should be for one dive. You can multiply your answer by 6 to get the total distance.

I was just wondering about the mass of the boxes (65kg). Doesn't that affect the distance too?

Yes, but then again the question doesn't say anything about the velocity of the student afterwards. I'd assume the student comes to rest so that all kinetic energy is with the boxes (hence covering maximum distance). I approach these questions with such "ideal circumstances" in mind as discussed, because most of the time that is what is intended.

NeomiXD said:
I was just wondering about the mass of the boxes (65kg). Doesn't that affect the distance too?

The kinetic energy of the student is completely transferred to the boxes, so they have energy equal to [itex]\frac{1}{2} m v^{2}[/itex], where m is the mass of the student, and v is the velocity.

Pi-Bond said:
Yes, but then again the question doesn't say anything about the velocity of the student afterwards. I'd assume the student comes to rest so that all kinetic energy is with the boxes (hence covering maximum distance). I approach these questions with such "ideal circumstances" in mind as discussed, because most of the time that is what is intended.

The student would only come to rest if his mass were equal to that of the box.

Simplifying assumptions are only useful if they they don't break physical laws :smile:. To quote Albert E., "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler".

True - I didn't consider this. So the correct way to proceed would be to first find the new velocity of the box from the collision, right?

NeomiXD said:

It seems I made an error in the first part by assuming that the kinetic energy of the student is transferred to the boxes completely. Sorry about that; assuming an elastic collision, you will need to equate the momentum and kinetic energy of the boxes and students before and after the collision to get the kinetic energy of the box. You can substitute that in w in the equation you mentioned. Sorry again!

So, to summarize the plot so far...

The problem can be broken down into two parts. The first part involves the elastic collision of the dim student with a box. Paraphrased, this would be, "a 50 kg object moving with a speed of 5.8 m/s collides elastically with a stationary object of mass 65 kg. What is the speed, v, of the second object immediately following the collision?"

The second part is: "A 65 kg object (box) has an initial speed v, sliding horizontally across a surface. If the frictional force between the box and the surface is 382N, how far will the box slide?"

Last edited:
gneill said:
So, to summarize the plot so far...

The problem can be broken down into two parts. The first part involves the elastic collision of the dim student with a box. Paraphrased, this would be, "a 50 kg object moving with a speed of 5.8 m/s collides elastically with a stationary object of mass 65 kg. What is the speed, v, of the second object immediately following the collision?"

The second part is: "A 65 kg object has an initial speed v, sliding horizontally across a surface. If the frictional force between the box and the surface is 382N, how far will the box slide?"

So, what formulas are you suppose to use to find the speed, v, of the second object immediately following the collision?

NeomiXD said:
So, what formulas are you suppose to use to find the speed, v, of the second object immediately following the collision?

Conservation of momentum, conservation of kinetic energy. Your text or class notes should explain collisions and the use of these conservation laws.

Related to Kinetic and Gravitational Energy Question

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2.

What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is calculated using the equation PE = mass * gravitational acceleration * height.

How are kinetic and gravitational energy related?

Kinetic and gravitational energy are related because an object's kinetic energy is affected by its gravitational energy. As an object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

How can kinetic and gravitational energy be converted into each other?

Kinetic and gravitational energy can be converted into each other through changes in an object's position or velocity. For example, a roller coaster converts gravitational energy into kinetic energy as it moves down a hill.

What are real-life applications of kinetic and gravitational energy?

Kinetic and gravitational energy are involved in many everyday activities, such as throwing a ball, riding a bike, and using a swing. They are also used in more complex systems like hydropower plants and wind turbines to generate electricity.