Kinematics Velocity Help: Solving for Height with Gravity and Initial Velocity

In summary, the problem is to find the height reached by a can of pop thrown upwards with an initial velocity of 4 m/s. Using the equations for kinematics and conservation of energy, it can be determined that the final velocity is 0 m/s, the time it takes to reach the maximum height is 0.41 seconds, and the displacement or height reached is 0.82 meters. The equation used is v^2=u^2+2as, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and s is displacement.
Dude22

Homework Statement

I am not going to use the exact same problem, as that would be cheating as this is for school, but Instead i will use an example problem:

A can of pop is tossed directly upwards with an initial velocity of 4 m/s. How high will it go?

Homework Equations

I know that gravity is -9.8m/s/s so that is my acceleration

I know the initial velocity is 4m/s

and I know the final velocity is 0m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

What I instinctively do is simply, the initial velocity divided by the maceration which gets me 0.41 but I don't know if that is correct or if that would give me the time it took or the distance it traveled.

As this is not an actual problem from my homework, only an example problem to help me understand a concept, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you meant acceleration. (Maceration is something to do with brewing.) Velocity has dimension LT-1 (distance/time), accn has dimension LT-2, so velocity/accn gives T.
Easiest way to get the height is by conservation of energy.

k.e + p.e. = constant

What kinematics formulas do you know that may be relevant to this problem?

ΔV= (Vf - Vi) = at

Vf = 0, Vi = 4, a = g = -9.8

(0 - 4) = (-9.8)t

- 4 = -9.8t

.41 = t

Last edited:
vector wise, if you start somewhere and go up in the air and come back down the resultant will be 0 because you landed in the same spot you started from right?

consider that a secret hint

break it down into what you know:
a= -9.8m/s
d=?
t=?
Vo=4m/s
Vf= _____

can you get 3 of those to solve for a 4th one?

Use: [itex]v^2=u^2+2as[/itex]

where v is final velocity = 0, u is inital velocity = 4m/s, and a is -9.8m/s^2. s is the displacement which is what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Related to Kinematics Velocity Help: Solving for Height with Gravity and Initial Velocity

1. What is kinematics velocity?

Kinematics velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is kinematics velocity different from speed?

While both kinematics velocity and speed measure an object's motion, velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction.

3. What is the equation for calculating kinematics velocity?

The equation for kinematics velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This equation can also be written as v = Δx/Δt, where Δx is the change in position and Δt is the change in time.

4. How is kinematics velocity represented graphically?

Kinematics velocity can be represented on a graph as the slope of the position vs. time graph. The steeper the slope, the higher the velocity of the object. A horizontal line on the graph represents a constant velocity.

5. What are the units for kinematics velocity?

Kinematics velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system. Other commonly used units include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).