Verifying Answers to a Problem Using Attached Figure

• Thread starter discoverer02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the book says that when the switch is opened the current in the 6kOhm resistor goes to zero, while the current in the 2kOhm resistor goes to 9mA.
discoverer02
I want to check my answers for this problem: Part c) below doesn't agree with the book. And even though part a) agrees, I'm not sure about my method.

I've attached a figure for reference.

For the attached figure, the switch is closed fo t<0, and steady-state conditions are established. The switch is thrown open at t = 0.
a) Find the initial voltage across L just after t = 0. Which end of the coil is at higher potential: A or B?

c) How long after t = 0 does the current in the 6kOhm resistor have the value 2.00 mA.

For part a), I used Kirchhoff's loop rule to get the currents at steady state.

6kOhmI1 = 18V
I1 = 3mA

2kOhmI2 - 0.4H(di2/dt) = 18V ==> di2/dt = 0 at steady state.
I2 = 9ma

Itotal = 12mA

Once the switch is thrown open I have an RL series circuit.
In a series circuit I should be the same across both resistors so:

I1 goes to zero, so I total in the circuit is 9mA.

6kOhmI + 2kOhmI - 0.4H(di/dt) = 0

0.4(di/dt) = 8kOhmI = 8kOhm(9mA) = 72Volts; B has the higher potential.

If my reasoning above is correct then for part c)

I = Iinitial(e^(-t/T)) where T = L/R = .4/8000 = 50 microseconds

2mA = 9mA(e^(-t/50us)

ln(1/6) = -t/50us
t = 50ln(1/6) = 75.2 microseconds. The answer is the book is 75.2us

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• drawing1.bmp
    29.1 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmmmm? 24 hrs and no response. No ideas or suggestions on why the answer for the second part is different than what I came up with?

Wrong picture. Can't tell what you're talking about. :smile:

Sorry about that.

I made some errors in my posting. The diagram should show the emf as 18V. There was also a multiplication error that I corrected.

What had me confused is that the current in the loop on the left goes to zero after the switch is opened. I was thinking (or wasn't thinking) that it did not immediately go to zero.

Anyway I see now that it does, so the only current in the right side loop is 9mA and everything works out.

Thanks.

I'll take more care in the future when posting my questions.

What is the purpose of verifying answers to a problem using attached figures?

The purpose of verifying answers to a problem using attached figures is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the solution. Figures can provide visual representation of the problem and make it easier to understand and confirm the solution.

What types of figures can be used to verify answers to a problem?

Figures such as graphs, charts, diagrams, and images can be used to verify answers to a problem. These figures can help to illustrate data and relationships between variables, making it easier to check the answer.

How can figures be used to confirm the correctness of an answer?

Figures can be used to compare the calculated answer to the expected result. This can be done by plotting the data on a graph or using a visual representation to check the solution. If the figures match, it confirms the correctness of the answer.

What should be checked when verifying answers using attached figures?

When verifying answers using attached figures, it is important to check the units of measurement, the data points used, and the overall trend of the figure. Any discrepancies or errors in these areas can indicate an incorrect answer.

Are figures always necessary to verify answers to a problem?

No, figures are not always necessary to verify answers to a problem. In some cases, a verbal or written explanation may be sufficient to confirm the solution. However, figures can be helpful in complex problems or when there is a need for visual representation to understand the solution.