What is the acceleration of the bowling ball in a subway car?

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of a bowling ball in a subway car with a horizontal acceleration. The forces acting on the ball are its weight, normal force, and static friction. There is a discrepancy in the solution, but it is eventually resolved by using the center of mass as the axis of rotation. The parallel-axis theorem is not applicable in an accelerating frame of reference. The final solution involves the moment of inertia and the accelerations of the ball and car.
StephenPrivitera
A bowling ball sits on a level floor of a subway car. If the car has a horizontal acceleartion a, what is the acceleration of the ball wrt the ground? Ball rolls w/o slipping.
The forces that act on the ball are its weight, a normal force, and static friction. The weight and normal offset, so Friction = MA.
But if we choose the point of contact with the ball as an axis, the net torque is zero?! So since torque is zero there is no angular acceleration and thus A=0?
Something's wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
So it is good that you have an intuition about your answer being zero. Why not think of the reference frame as that of the center of mass of the bowling ball. Then you will have a torque acting at the radius of the bowling ball which will be prependicular to the "lever arm." So basically don't use the point of contact as your axis of rotation- it doesn't make sense to because the ball is not going to spin about that point- it will spin about it's center of mass. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Norm

But if it spins about an axis, it must spin about any parallel axis. That's what's throwing me off. The angular acceleration should be the same about any parallel axis. If I use the CM as a axis, then I get F=ma, FR=Ia/R, eliminating F, I get maR=Ia/R, but then a drops out!

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
If I use the CM as a axis, then I get F=ma, FR=Ia/R, eliminating F, I get maR=Ia/R, but then a drops out!
The accelerations are different and don't drop out:

[tex]F=ma_{cm}[/tex]

[tex]FR=I\frac{a_{car}}{R}[/tex]

There is one thing you forgot. Since the frame is accelerating, the only time that Torque = (Moment of Inertia) (alpha) is when the axis is through its center of mass. The parallel-axis theorem will not be valid in an accelerating frame of reference.

- Harsh

Fr=I(a_1-a_2)/r
F=ma_2
(ma_2)r^2=I(a_1-a_2)
a_2(m+I)r^2=Ia_1
a_2=Ia_1/(m+I)
I believe this to be the correct solution, and this is in the rest frame of the ground.
I'm not quite sure what to put in for I, though.

Originally posted by Doc Al
The accelerations are different and don't drop out:

[tex]F=ma_{cm}[/tex]

[tex]FR=I\frac{a_{car}}{R}[/tex]
I think I messed up. I believe the following is true, as the condition for rolling without slipping:
[tex]a_{cm} + \alpha R = a_{car}[/tex]

The force equations should be:
[tex]F=ma_{cm}[/tex]

[tex]FR=I \alpha=I\frac{a_{car}-a_{cm}}{R}[/tex]

With [tex]I=\frac{2}{5}mR^2[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is rolling motion?

Rolling motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a surface while rotating around its own axis.

2. How is torque related to rolling motion?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate. In rolling motion, torque is responsible for the object's rotation as it moves along a surface.

3. How can we calculate the torque of an object in rolling motion?

The torque of an object in rolling motion can be calculated using the equation T = r x F, where T is the torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and F is the force applied.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its rolling motion?

The shape of an object can affect its rolling motion in terms of its speed, stability, and resistance to rolling. Objects with a larger radius tend to roll faster and have more stability, while objects with a smaller radius experience more resistance to rolling.

5. What are some real-life examples of rolling motion and torque?

Examples of rolling motion and torque can be seen in everyday activities such as rolling a ball, riding a bike, or driving a car. In each of these examples, torque is being applied to the wheels, causing them to rotate and move the object forward.