Exploring Mass-Time Relationships

In summary: There is no such thing as the ageing gene and the reson you age quicker in space is due to my just explaind theory. And the atmosphere in space dose not speed up the ageing prosess as you would be in a space suit anyway! (that last bit was aimed at my dumb *** friend who belives this and many other rediculas theories of which he belives makes him sounds cleaver explaining this to the lesser minded folk.
Dezepar
Can someone shed light on any and all relationships between mass and time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dezepar
Can someone shed light on any and all relationships between mass and time?

I know of no such relation in classical mechanics or quantum mechanics. However in relativity the mass of a particle depends on the location the particle is in a gravitational field and on the particles velocity. These alterations in mass are directly attributable to time dilation effects. i.e. time dilation and mass changes are one in the same phenomena.

Is there any worthwhile information documented or working theories, (with at least an ounce of plausibility) in regards to there being a definitive relationship between mass and time? I have done extensive 'googling' on this but would like more opinions.

Originally posted by Dezepar
Is there any worthwhile information documented or working theories, (with at least an ounce of plausibility) in regards to there being a definitive relationship between mass and time? I have done extensive 'googling' on this but would like more opinions.

It really depends on what you mean by mass though. There is proper mass and relativistic mass. The former is an intrinsic property of a particle while the relativisitci mass describes the inertial properties of the body, i.e. its the "m" in p = mv.

As regards the gravitational properties of that later Einstein discusses this to some extent in his book "The Meaning of Relativity." There is more on mass in articles listed here

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/mass_articles.htm

Are you referring to proper mass or relativisitc mass?

Thanx a ton Arcon. I actually have reasons for asking this question, but its obvious I should probably immerse myself into a few texts first. I am what you may want to call a 'weekend physicist', or a physics wannabe for a more direct and accurate term, (I'm a programmer by trade) but have always loved physics. Any help on pushing me in the right direction for a deeper understanding of classical and quantum physics would be greatly appreciated. I guess my skill level would be negative novice. (Heh)
Are you referring to proper mass or relativisitc mass?
From my limited knowledge I can only tell you that I'm referring to relativistic mass. Nothing more.
On a different note, I think there is some kind of subliminal messaging going on at this forum, for I have been GLUED to it since I discovered it! Seriously though, what a great place this site is, I've been wondering how the heck I ever survived previously without it. Thanx, and kudos to all the 'super minds' here and I'm greatly humbled in the presence of them.

Hmm...Let me try a little ;)

E = MC^2
and we know C = s/t
(s = distance)
Then,

E = M * (s/t)^2
E = M * s^2/t^2
t^2 = (1/(E*s^2)) M

t = sqrt(1/(E*s^2)) sqrt(M)

so, if Energy and Distance remains CONSTANT then,

t OC sqrt(M)

Hmm...

Your reply, Moni, coincides with Arcon's post.
I know of no such relation in classical mechanics or quantum mechanics.
I understand this. I was wondering if there were ANY theorys, founded or not. Demonstrable or not. The equations you present are mostly greek to me at this moment, as I am an untrained individual in this field. (Currently working to change that.) Thanx for the arithmatic rebuttle though.

One theory is that time is not constant and flows like a river in some places it travels faster than others. In fact time travel is theoreticly possible as time around certian objects moves at different speeds. for example the bigger an object the slower time travels around it. this therefore means that if you were to stand next to a pyramid (large mass) and look at someone far away they would be moving at a faster speed (too small a difference to notice.) and obviously to them you would be moving slower. This is the same with astronaughts going to outerspace, as the Earth is so massive the people still on the Earth would be going through time at a slower speed (due to the shear mass of the earth) and the astronaughts would be moving faster as they are away from any huge mass. for the record there is no such thing as the ageing gene and the reson you age quicker in space is due to my just explaind theory. And the atmosphere in space dose not speed up the ageing prosess as you would be in a space suit anyway! (that last bit was aimed at my dumb *** friend who belives this and many other rediculas theories of which he belives makes him sounds cleaver explaining this to the lesser minded folk.

Excuse my grammer i may not be ace at it but i know what I am on about when it comes to Cosmology. or do i??... DUN DUN DUN!

Last edited:
im sorry, simon, I am sure you're wrong, woafully so, the atmosphere we're immersed in does not effect the passage of time or the "ageing gene", although I am sure mass does (only in minute proportions) there are satellites in orbit with atomic clocks onboard. and those clock (although synchronized with the same clocks on earth) run slower than normal there is definitely a link between mass and time but humanity hasn't put a precise number against it yet, :)

Freefall84 said:
im sorry, simon, I am sure you're wrong, woafully so, the atmosphere we're immersed in does not effect the passage of time or the "ageing gene", although I am sure mass does (only in minute proportions) there are satellites in orbit with atomic clocks onboard. and those clock (although synchronized with the same clocks on earth) run slower than normal there is definitely a link between mass and time but humanity hasn't put a precise number against it yet, :)

Actually we have a very very precise number for this. If we didn't then GPS wouldn't work. We have a lot of very solid evidence that mass directly affects time. Just look up "evidence for relativity" on google and you will find lots.

Responses to a 4 month old response to a 6 year old thread... Locking.

What is mass-time relationship?

The mass-time relationship is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the relationship between an object's mass and the time it takes to travel a certain distance. It is also known as the inertia-time relationship.

What is the significance of exploring mass-time relationships?

Understanding the mass-time relationship is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, as it helps to explain the behavior of objects in motion. It also allows us to make predictions about an object's motion based on its mass and the forces acting on it.

How is mass-time relationship related to Newton's laws of motion?

The mass-time relationship is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. According to Newton's first law, an object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object's mass affects its inertia, or its resistance to changes in motion.

How can mass-time relationships be explored in experiments?

There are many experiments that can be conducted to explore mass-time relationships. One common experiment is to roll objects of different masses down a ramp and measure the time it takes for them to reach the bottom. This can help to demonstrate the relationship between mass and the time it takes for an object to accelerate.

What real-world applications rely on understanding mass-time relationships?

Understanding mass-time relationships is crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and calculating their acceleration and braking capabilities. It is also important in sports, where athletes must understand how their mass affects their performance in different events. Additionally, the study of mass-time relationships is essential in fields such as astrophysics, where the mass of celestial objects plays a significant role in their motion and interactions.