Kinematics, rock falling off cliff

In summary: Using this information, we can set up the following equation:3.4 = [itex]t_1[/tex] + [itex]t_2[/tex]And using the formulas for [itex]D_1[/tex] and [itex]D_2[/tex], we can write:[itex]D_1 = \frac{1}{2}(-9.8m/s^2)(t_1)^2[/tex][itex]D_2 = 340m/s \cdot t_2[/tex]Since [itex]D_1=D_2[/tex], we can set them equal to
777lov3r
so I am kind of stumped on this one here... A rock is dropped from a sea cliff and the sound of it striking the ocrean is heard 3.4 seconds later. If the speed of sound is 340m/s, how high is the cliff?

- now i got some variables, v1=0 m/s
time(total)=3.4s
a= -9.80m/s^2
delta d= ?

i got thinking that the total time it takes for the rock to fall then the sound to come back at you would be 3.4 seconds in total, so i don't know how to separate the time it takes the rock to fall from the time it takes the sound to actually get back to you.

by using the 3.4 seconds, i tried to get a distance which was off, at 113 m, but then realized that i need to find out how long it takes for the rock alone to fall, without the sound. i can't find a reasonable way to get this number.

please help!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the rock. Just focus on the sound. You have a time it takes for the sound to travel a distance, and the velocity of that sound. Now take a look at your formula for speed.

Last edited:
so I attempted this by saying 3.4s=t(rock falls)+t(sound back), then solved and got 2 answers, which were 112.2 m and -11908 m, and I tried seeing if the 112.2 m made any sense when I plugged It in, but it would take the rock more than 3.4 s to reach the bottom, so 112.2 m is impossible...any suggestions on the right equation to use?:s

You can completely ignore the rock. You have the speed of sound, and the time it takes the noise to travel the height of the cliff.

Your basic speed formula:
[tex]S=\frac{D_{Final}-D_{Initial}}{\Delta Time}[/tex]

Last edited:
but it's saying that the timer starts when the rock falls off the cliff of an unknown distance then sound travels back to u..in 3.4s, so would u use a formula 3.4=t(rock falls)+t(sound)?:)

Oh, sorry. I misread the question...and I have no clue how to keep going.

You started off right; 3.4s is the amount if time it takes the rock to fall from the cliff to the ocean ([itex]t_1[/tex]) plus the time it takes for the sound of the rock hitting the ocean to be heard from the top of the cliff ([itex]t_2[/tex]).

What is the formula for the distance the rock falls (use [itex]t_1[/tex])?
Call this [itex]D_1[/tex]

What is the formula for the distance the sound of the rock hitting the ocean travels (use [itex]t_2[/tex])?
Call this [itex]D_2[/tex]

We know 2 things:
1) [itex]t_1 + t_2 = 3.4 sec[/tex]
2) [itex]D_1 = D_2[/tex]

Related to Kinematics, rock falling off cliff

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, including the forces and energy involved in that motion.

2. How does kinematics relate to a rock falling off a cliff?

Kinematics can be applied to analyze the motion of a rock falling off a cliff, including factors such as its initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the distance it falls.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a falling rock?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a falling rock is v = u + gt, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

4. Can kinematics be used to predict the path of a falling rock?

Yes, kinematics can be used to predict the path of a falling rock by analyzing its velocity and acceleration at different points in time.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a falling rock?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of a falling rock, which can impact the distance it falls and its final velocity. Kinematics equations can be modified to take into account the effects of air resistance.