Kinematics question using vectors

In summary: From those equations, you can solve for ##\theta## to find the angle at which the boat reaches the child.In summary, the boat will reach the child at an angle of ##\theta = 45^{\circ}##. It will take the boat approximately ##2.5 \times 10^6\) seconds to reach the child.
Ofir12
A child is in danger of drowning in the river. The river has a current of 2.5 km/hr . The child is 0.6 km from the shore. A rescue boat with speed 20.0 km/hr (with respect to the water) ,located 0.8km downstream, sets off from the shore.
What would be the optimum angle (shore -> boat ) to reach the child as fast as possible ?
And how long will it take to the boat to reach him?

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to draw this :
river-rescue-gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 0.6 km
b = 0.8 km

v = 20.0km
u = 2.5km

c = √(a² + b²)

how do I find the angle?

I feel a little bit lost, your help is appriciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• river-rescue-gif.gif
    river-rescue-gif.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Ofir12 said:
how do I find the angle?
The optimum angle or some angle in the diagram? For reference, it would be handy to label some points, like B for launch point of boat, etc.
What are your thoughts on the optimisation?

I'm not sure if this is the right way to draw this, and how to approach the question.
I know that I'm looking for an angle between 2 vectors (shore and boat).
Actually they didn't mention the word "optimum" in the question, they just asked what is the angle. (I assumed that it should be optimum, buy maybe I am wrong)

Well this problem is kind of strange for me as to what the problem wants. If the boat isn't allowed to change angle during its trip, then there is only one possible angle (there will be a system of two equations with two unknowns, the angle and the time , this system might have one solution or none) for which the boat reaches the child.

I suggest for starting, that you assume that ##\theta## is the angle. Find the velocities ##v_x## and ##v_y## of the boat, and make two equations for the distance traveled ##s_x## and ##s_y## in each axis.

Related to Kinematics question using vectors

1. What is kinematics and how is it related to vectors?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion. It involves measuring and describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects. Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, and are used in kinematics to represent the motion of objects.

2. How do you calculate the displacement of an object using vectors?

The displacement of an object is defined as its change in position from its initial to final position. It can be calculated using vectors by finding the difference between the final and initial position vectors of the object.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed in kinematics?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position, taking into account both its magnitude and direction. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes the magnitude of an object's motion without considering its direction.

4. How can you determine the acceleration of an object using vectors?

Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of an object's velocity. To determine the acceleration of an object using vectors, you can calculate the change in velocity vector over a specific time interval.

5. Can vectors be used in two-dimensional and three-dimensional kinematic problems?

Yes, vectors are commonly used in both two-dimensional and three-dimensional kinematic problems to describe the motion of objects in different directions. In two-dimensional problems, vectors are typically represented on a two-dimensional plane, while in three-dimensional problems, they are represented in a three-dimensional coordinate system.