Kinematics Question -- 2 Runners Racing Each Other

In summary, Dave and Andrew are racing and Dave is initially running at a constant speed of 20m/s. After being passed by Andrew, Dave accelerates at 1.0m/s^2 and catches up with Andrew 25s later. Using the kinematics formulas, Dave travels a total distance of 812.5m and has a final velocity of 30.7m/s. However, it is unclear how fast Andrew was running as the given numbers seem unrealistic.
yoyo16

Homework Statement

Dave and Andrew are racing. Dave running at a constant speed of 20m/s is passed by Andrew. 2.0s after Andrew passes, Dave accelerates at 1.0m/s^2 until he catches up with Andrew 25s later. What is Andrew's velocity (he does not accelerate)?

Homework Equations

Kinematics Formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

d=vit+1/2at^2
=(20)(25)+1/2(1)(25)^2
=812.5

Dave travels 812.5m.
v=d/t
=(812.5)(25+2)
=30.7m/s

I'm not sure if the way I did it was correct. Can someone please tell me how to do it. If you think I'm right though can you please tell me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have forgotten that 2 seconds went by before Dave accelerated. during these two seconds both runners moved.

Usain Bolt runs at 12.4m/s but can only sustain that speed for 20 or 30m. So there is something unrealistic about the numbers you are given.

With that said, looks like you calculated "d" right but missing the distance that Andrew is ahead after the first 2 seconds.

Last edited:

Related to Kinematics Question -- 2 Runners Racing Each Other

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that caused the motion.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures the rate of motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that measures both the rate of motion and the direction of motion.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How does displacement differ from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the straight-line distance and direction between an object's initial and final positions, while distance is a scalar quantity that measures the total path length traveled by an object.

What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed can be calculated for the entire duration of motion, while instantaneous speed can vary throughout the motion.