Kinematics Projectile Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's curiosity about the factors that affect the motion of a projectile, particularly a rocket. The student asks about the potential influence of other forces, such as drag, on the projectile's path. The conversation also includes a scenario where a rocket is being fired towards someone on a platform, with no wind and multiple landing ships nearby. The speaker also mentions the difference between a projectile and a rocket and suggests that physicists usually try to isolate the subject of interest in experiments.
PhysicsLover22
I'll admit that I'm not an undergraduate(I'm in high school), but I do have a kinematic question that I'm extremely curious about. I basically would like to ask what affects the motion of a projectile, and make it stray from its path. So if I a projectile(let's use a rocket) is flying downward, vertical, path, what would affect its path and make it stray from its path? Let us also add that the projectile is being fired toward someone.

Here is a scenario: Let us say for instance someone is firing a rocket She is standing on a plaform trunk that supports her weight(although she doesn't have any training with the weapon itself). We shall also state that the weather is clear, that their is no wind, although their are a bunch of ships that are landing. What position would she need to be to have the projectile stray of its path?

Another thing is would other forces(like drag) be able to stray the projectile of its path?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a subtle difference between a projectile and a rocket, so you confuse me with "So if I a projectile(let's use a rocket)..."
For a projectile you have simple equations of motion and the trajectory is a parabola if you can ignore air resistance. I thought that was treated in high school physics too ?
A rocket has its own propulsion so that't a bit more complicated.
Which one you want to know about ?

Your scenario is weird, almost suspect in these times. Physicists try to isolate the subject of interest as much as they can when designing experiments!

Related to Kinematics Projectile Question

1. What is kinematics projectile?

Kinematics projectile is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are launched into the air and are subject to the force of gravity. It involves the study of the trajectory, velocity, and acceleration of projectiles.

2. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (V^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between a projectile and a regular object in motion?

A projectile is a special type of object in motion that is only subject to the force of gravity. This means that it follows a parabolic path and its motion is affected by the angle and initial velocity of launch. Regular objects in motion are subject to other forces, such as friction, which can change their trajectory and speed.

4. What are the key concepts in kinematics projectile?

The key concepts in kinematics projectile include velocity, acceleration, trajectory, range, and angle of launch. These concepts help us understand and analyze the motion of projectiles and can be used to make predictions about their behavior.

5. What are some real-life applications of kinematics projectile?

Kinematics projectile has many real-life applications, such as in sports like basketball, where players need to calculate the angle and initial velocity to make a successful shot. It is also used in military operations, such as calculating the trajectory of missiles. In addition, it is applied in fields like engineering and physics to design and analyze the motion of objects, such as rockets and satellites.