Kinematics - Projectile Motion

In summary: I have attempted a solution that I'm doubtful is correct as I have made the assumption that the shell glances the edge of the cliff at the highest point of its trajectory and I'm not certain whether this is necessary (as in it may just clear the cliff at a point in its trajectory that is before the highest point). However, without making this assumption I don't know how to proceed with the question.
Insolite
Question:

A cannon, located ##60.0 m## from the base of a vertical ##25.0 m## tall cliff, shoots a ##15 kg## shell at ##43.0°## above the horizontal toward the cliff. What must the minimum muzzle velocity be for the shell to clear the top of the cliff?

I have attempted a solution that I'm doubtful is correct as I have made the assumption that the shell glances the edge of the cliff at the highest point of its trajectory and I'm not certain whether this is necessary (as in it may just clear the cliff at a point in its trajectory that is before the highest point). However, without making this assumption I don't know how to proceed with the question.

Solution:

Finding the initial ##y##-component of velocity, where the max height of projectile is assumed to be the height of the cliff, ##25 m##, where ##v_{y} = 0## -
##v_{y}^{2} = v_{0y}^{2}sin^{2}{α} - 2g(25)##
##0 = v_{0y}^{2}sin^{2}{43°} - 2g(25)##
##50g = v_{0y}^{2}sin^{2}{43°}##
##v_{0y} ≈ 32.47 ms^{-1}##

Finding the initial ##x##-component of velocity, where I have reversed the set-up and calculated the time taken for the projectile to go from ##v_{0y} = 0## to ##v_{y} = 32.47 ms^{-1}## in the ##y##-axis -
##v_{y} = v_{0y} - (-g)t##
##v_{y} = gt##
##t ≈ \frac{32.47}{9.81}##
##t ≈ 3.31 s##

Finding the initial ##x##-component of velocity -
##x = (v_{0x}cosα)t##
##v_{0x} = \frac{x}{tcos43°}##
##v_{0x} = \frac{60.0}{3.31cos43°}##
##v_{0x} ≈ 24.78 ms^{-1}##

The magnitude of the initial muzzle velocity -
##v = \sqrt{v_{0x}^{2} + v_{0y}^{2}}##
##v = \sqrt{24.78^{2} + 32.47^{2}}##
##v = 40.9 ms^{-1}##

Any help or advise is appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Insolite said:
Finding the initial ##y##-component of velocity, where the max height of projectile is assumed to be the height of the cliff,
That's not a valid assumption. The cannon's angle is fixed. If you reduce the muzzle velocity to the point where the maximum height of the trajectory would be the height of the cliff, the point where it reaches that height might be beyond the cliff.

To get a feel for the problem, make a sketch of the setup that is roughly to scale with a projection angle 43o≈45o. Draw some trajectories for different initial speeds.

When the initial speed is such that the shell barely clears the cliff, does it look like vy = 0 when the shell is just over the cliff?

[oops, I see haruspex posted while I was constructing my post. Sorry.]

Last edited:

Related to Kinematics - Projectile Motion

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air after it has been thrown or launched. This type of motion is characterized by both horizontal and vertical components, and is affected by gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role, depending on the object and its surroundings.

How can we calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v² sin 2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, horizontal motion is constant and unaffected by gravity, while vertical motion is accelerated by gravity. This means that the horizontal component of the object's velocity remains the same throughout its motion, while the vertical component changes.

How does projectile motion relate to real-life situations?

Projectile motion can be seen in many real-life situations, such as throwing a ball, launching a rocket, or shooting a cannonball. It is also used in sports like basketball and baseball, as well as in engineering and physics experiments.