Kinematics Problem involving variable acceleration

In summary, the question discusses a particle starting from the origin with a velocity of 8i m/s at t = 0 and moving in the xy plane with a varying acceleration given by vector a = (7√t j) m/s2, where t is in s. The task is to determine the vector velocity of the particle as a function of time, which can be achieved by integrating 8 with respect to time for the x-component and 7(t^0.5) for the y-component. The resulting velocity vector is 8i + 4.67t^(1.5)j.
zewei1988

Homework Statement

What if the acceleration is not constant? A particle starts from the origin with velocity 8 i m/s at t = 0 and moves in the xy plane with a varying acceleration given by vector a = (7√t j) m/s2, where t is in s. Answer the following using t as t as necessary.

Determine the vector velocity of the particle as a function of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could find the x-component of the velocity vector, but integrating 8 with respect to time. However, when my answer is wrong when i integrated 7(t^0.5) in an attempt to find the velocity of the particle as a function of time.

4.67t^(1.5) is my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi zewei1988! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
zewei1988 said:
I could find the x-component of the velocity vector, but integrating 8 with respect to time.

What do you mean? The 8i velocity component is constant.

I'm sorry, I din integrate it with time. I mixed up my solutions for the other part of the question. I simply put 8 as the velocity vector along the x-axis.

zewei1988 said:
I'm sorry, I din integrate it with time. I mixed up my solutions for the other part of the question. I simply put 8 as the velocity vector along the x-axis.

So your answer is 8i + 4.67t3/2j ?

That looks ok to me. :confused:

Related to Kinematics Problem involving variable acceleration

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, specifically the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration is when the acceleration of an object changes over time. This can be due to changes in the object's velocity or the presence of external forces.

3. How do you solve a kinematics problem involving variable acceleration?

To solve a kinematics problem with variable acceleration, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, you can use equations such as the kinematic equations or the calculus-based equations to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are the units for acceleration in kinematics?

The units for acceleration in kinematics are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, depending on the problem, other units such as centimeters per second squared (cm/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) may also be used.

5. Can an object have a changing velocity and a constant acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a changing velocity and a constant acceleration. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of the change in velocity. So, even if an object's velocity is changing, as long as the direction of the change remains constant, the acceleration can be considered constant.