Kinematics Problem: Find Constant Separation of Ships

In summary, the problem involves two ships separated by a distance \gamma along a coastline, with Ship A moving perpendicular to the coastline and Ship B following along Ship A's position. Both ships have a constant speed and after a certain time, they will move in a straight line with a constant separation. The task is to find this separation. The attempt made by the person involved assuming a constant speed of v and introducing the variable \theta, but they were unable to get the desired differential equations. They are open to suggestions or alternative methods for solving this problem.
f(x)

Homework Statement

There are two ships separated by a distance [tex]\gamma[/tex] along a straight coastline. Ship A starts moving perpendicularly to the coastline , and Ship B moves such that its velocity vector always point along the position of Ship A.
Both ships move at same constant speed. After sufficient time, both the ships will move in a straight line with a constant separation. Find this separation.

2. MY ATTEMPT

First, i assumed the constant speed to be v
and let, after time T, both of them move in a straight line.
and let [tex]\theta[/tex] be the angle that the velocity vector of ship B makes with that of the other. ([tex]\theta[/tex] is variable from [itex]\pi / 2 \ \rightarrow \ 0 [/itex] ) . I feel [itex]tan\theta \ = \ \frac{\gamma}{vt}[/itex]

Then [tex]\gamma \ = \ v \ sin \theta \times T [/tex]
and [tex]x \ = \ T (v-vcos \theta) [/tex]

x= constant separation when ships are in a straight line

The problem is, I am unable to get differential equations which i should. How do i convert the known data into differential form ?

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know a lot about differential equations, but I will say that velocity is the derivative of x(t). If you can figure out the position, maybe you can solve for the T variable. Or perhaps you could work this out like an optimization problem?

Any means of solving this apart from what I've tried ?

Related to Kinematics Problem: Find Constant Separation of Ships

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, including its causes and effects, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of objects, including their positions, velocities, and accelerations, using mathematical equations and principles.

What is the constant separation of ships?

The constant separation of ships refers to the distance between two ships that are moving parallel to each other at a constant speed and in the same direction. It is a kinematics problem that involves finding the distance between the two ships at a given time.

How do you solve a kinematics problem to find the constant separation of ships?

To solve a kinematics problem involving the constant separation of ships, you would need to use the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. You would also need to consider the initial positions of the ships and their relative velocities.

What are some real-world applications of kinematics?

Kinematics has many real-world applications, such as analyzing the motion of vehicles, projectiles, and celestial bodies. It is also used in engineering to design and improve machines and structures, as well as in sports to optimize performance and prevent injuries.