Kinematics of Rigid Bodies question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform pole hinged to a truck bed and released from the vertical position as the truck accelerates at a constant rate of 0.9m/s^2. The goal is to determine the angular velocity of the pole as it reaches the horizontal position. Various equations are considered, but the final solution involves taking the moment about the hinge point and integrating to find the angular velocity, which is approximately 3.7 rad/s.
DTskkaii

Homework Statement

The uniform 3.6m pole is hinged to the truck bed and released from the vertical position as the truck starts from rest with than acceleration of 0.9m/s^2. If the acceleration remains constant during the motion of the pole, calculate the angular velocity of the pole as it reaches the horizontal position.
Diagram attached.

Homework Equations

I believe these equations are relevant, however, I am not given a mass for the pole, so I'm not entirely sure.
a(tangential)=mrθ''
a(normal) = mrω^2
ƩMo=Iθ''+Ʃma(vector)d
I=k^2m
ω=2Vx
ω=(ωo^2+2aθ)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I eventually want to realize the angular velocity ω.
I have done a similar question that utilised energy and momentum methods, however, with a negligible mass, I'm not sure whether that will affect the equations, since the example question used mass.

So essentially, I believe it may be using the last formula I provided, since it is not determined by time or mass.
So, all I need to find is the acceleration, since I already know that ωo is at rest, and θ=90. Finding the acceleration, from the given positive direction of acceleration of the truck body, is something that I can't figure out.

Thankyou for any feedback!

Attachments

• 000002.jpg
    000002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 908
Physics news on Phys.org
your last formula is valid for constant angular acceleration,so from vertical to horizontal position does it remain the same.

@ Andrien
Well, the pole accelerates to the left (opposite the direction of the car) at 0.9m/s^2, and accelerates downward at 9.8m/s^2.
These are both constants, but I don't know which to use in the formula.
It can't possibly as simple as angular vel=(0^2+2*0.9*90)^1/2

consider taking moment about hinge point, and write ma as a pseudo force along with gravity which will act towards left i.e. opposite to acceleration of truck.integrate from 0 to pi/2,you will get
w=[3(g+a)/l]^.5, where l= length of rod.assuming k^2=l^2/12,
w is around 3.

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the forces acting on the pole. Since the pole is hinged to the truck bed, it is free to rotate about that point. The only force acting on the pole is the normal force from the truck bed, which will provide the centripetal force to keep the pole in circular motion.

Next, I would use Newton's second law, F=ma, to relate the normal force to the acceleration of the pole. Since the acceleration is given as 0.9m/s^2, we can calculate the normal force as F=m(0.9m/s^2). However, since we do not have the mass of the pole, we cannot solve for the normal force at this point.

To find the angular velocity, we can use the equation ω=(ωo^2+2aθ)^(1/2), where ωo is the initial angular velocity (which is 0 since the pole is at rest) and θ is the angle through which the pole has rotated (which is 90 degrees or π/2 radians). Plugging in the values, we get ω=(0^2+2(0.9m/s^2)(π/2))^(1/2) = 0.9(π/2)^(1/2) ≈ 1.2 rad/s.

In conclusion, the angular velocity of the pole as it reaches the horizontal position is approximately 1.2 rad/s. However, without the mass of the pole, we cannot determine the normal force or the exact value of the angular velocity. It is important to always include all relevant information in a problem to accurately solve it.

Related to Kinematics of Rigid Bodies question

1. What is kinematics of rigid bodies?

Kinematics of rigid bodies is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are not deformable or that do not change shape as they move.

2. What are the basic principles of kinematics of rigid bodies?

The basic principles of kinematics of rigid bodies include position, velocity, and acceleration, which are used to describe the motion of an object. These principles are based on Newton's laws of motion.

3. How is kinematics of rigid bodies different from kinematics of particles?

Kinematics of rigid bodies deals with the motion of objects as a whole, while kinematics of particles deals with the motion of individual particles. In kinematics of rigid bodies, the object is assumed to be rigid and cannot change shape, whereas in kinematics of particles, the object can deform or change shape.

4. What are some real-life applications of kinematics of rigid bodies?

Kinematics of rigid bodies is used in various fields, such as engineering, robotics, and biomechanics, to analyze and design the motion of machines, vehicles, and human movements. It is also used in sports to study the motion of athletes and improve their performance.

5. What are some common examples of rigid bodies?

A rigid body can be any object that does not deform or change shape as it moves, such as a car, a book, or a piece of furniture. In some cases, even objects that appear to be deformable, like a rubber ball, can be treated as rigid bodies for the purpose of kinematics analysis.