Kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions

In summary, two balls are thrown - a blue ball upwards and a red ball downwards - with different initial heights and velocities. Both balls experience a constant downward acceleration due to gravity. The question is asking for the time when the two balls are at the same height. After setting up equations for each ball and equating them, the answer is found to be 18.4 seconds. However, this time represents the time for the red ball to reach the same height, so 2.5 seconds must be added to account for the blue ball's head start. So, the final answer is 20.9 seconds after the blue ball is thrown.
maiad

Homework Statement

A blue ball is thrown upward with an initial speed of 20.4 m/s, from a height of 0.5 meters above the ground. 2.5 seconds after the blue ball is thrown, a red ball is thrown down with an initial speed of 9.8 m/s from a height of 23.9 meters above the ground. The force of gravity due to the Earth results in the balls each having a constant downward acceleration of 9.81 m/s2.

How long after the blue ball is thrown are the two balls in the air at the same height

Homework Equations

Xf=Xi+Vit+0.5a^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Blue ball:
Vi=20.4 m/s
a=-9.81
Xi=0
t=t-2.5

Red ball:
Vi=-9.8
a=-9.81
xi=23.4
t=t

The height is different because i chose the blue ball as reference point.
I plugged the values into the equation and equated them giving me:
20.4(t-2.5)-4.9(t+2.5)^2=23.4-9.8t-4.9t^2

further simplifying i get...
-4.1t-4.9t^2-81.6=23.4-9.8t-4.9t^2
then...
5.7t=105
t=18.4s

which is wrong. can someone tell me where i went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maiad said:
Blue ball:
t=t-2.5

Red ball:
t=t

Does the blue ball travel for more time or less time than the red ball?

maiad said:

Homework Statement

A blue ball is thrown upward with an initial speed of 20.4 m/s, from a height of 0.5 meters above the ground. 2.5 seconds after the blue ball is thrown, a red ball is thrown down with an initial speed of 9.8 m/s from a height of 23.9 meters above the ground. The force of gravity due to the Earth results in the balls each having a constant downward acceleration of 9.81 m/s2.
Okay, those are the facts, but what is the question? What are you trying to determine?

TSny said:
Does the blue ball travel for more time or less time than the red ball?
The ball traveled for a longer time so i switched the signs but i still got the wrong answer.

The question asks for the time after the blue ball is thrown. Note that you defined t so that it gives the time after the red ball is thrown. Did you take that into account?

okay i got the answer but I'm not sure why i had to add 2.5 second to the "t" that i found. Is it because the t was referring to the time that the red ball took, but the blue ball got a 2.5s head start?

Yes, that's right. If you look at your original post you can see where you let t stand for the time the red ball traveled and (after correction) you let t + 2.5 represent the time for the blue ball.

if i let the red ball's t be t-2.5 will it give me the same answer?

It is easier to see if you make the reference point as the position and velocity of after 2.5s since the red ball exists only on 2.5th sec.

As for your calculation the time for blue ball should be (t) and time for red ball is (t-25)

Related to Kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions

1. What is the definition of kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions?

Kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions is a branch of physics that studies the motion of two objects that are moving in opposite directions relative to each other.

2. How is the velocity of each ball calculated in kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions?

The velocity of each ball can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The velocity of the first ball will have a positive value, while the velocity of the second ball will have a negative value since they are moving in opposite directions.

3. What is the equation used to calculate the acceleration of each ball in kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions?

The equation used to calculate the acceleration of each ball is a = (v2 - v1)/t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity of the ball, v1 is the initial velocity of the ball, and t is the time taken to travel the distance.

4. How does the mass of the balls affect the motion in kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions?

The mass of the balls does not affect the motion in kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions. The motion of each ball is independent of the other, and their masses do not affect each other's motion.

5. Can the concept of kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the concept of kinematics involving two balls travelling at opposing directions can be applied to real-life situations such as cars passing each other on a road, two people walking in opposite directions, or two objects moving on a conveyor belt in opposite directions.