Kinematics in two Dimension- projectile motion

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving an airplane with a speed of 87.9 m/s climbing upward at an angle of 59.8 °. The question asks to calculate the distance along the ground where a package released by the airplane hits the earth and the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact. The conversation includes discussing the components of the initial velocity, finding the time it takes for the package to hit the ground, and using the position function to solve for the distance. The final answer of 956.5m is found and the signs of the velocity and acceleration are corrected. The conversation also mentions finding the answer online.
minx1004
I am really having trouble solving this problem. Can someone help ASAP??

An airplane with a speed of 87.9 m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 59.8 ° with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 652 m, the pilot releases a package. (a) Calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth. (b) Relative to the ground, determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact.

Physics news on Phys.org
treat this as an elastic explosion

Start by finding the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity of the package.

This is what i did:
I first drew a right triangle from the start to the altitude. I got x = 379 m.

I then calculated the x and y components of velocity:
V_ox=87.9cos(59.8)=44.2 m/s
v_oy=87.9sin(59.8)=76 m/s

I know that a_x= 0 m/s^2
a_y = -9.8 m/s^2
v_ymax= 0 m/s
y=652 m
x_max ??

I then calculated time by using v_y = v_oy + a_y*t
t= -v_oy / a_y = 7.8 s (2) because this was only half the length of x_max

After I got t, I used the equation x_max=v_ox*t + 1/2a_x*t^2
--------------------------------------------------^ this part equals to 0
so I got x_max = 1204.3 m - 379 = 825.3 m
I am not sure if I am going the right path.

Next to calculate the angle, I set v_ox = 44.2 m/s
a_x = 0 m/s^2
y=652 m
v_oy = 0 m/s
a_y = -9.8 m/s^2

I used the equation v_y^2 = v_oy^2+2a_y*y
v=sqrtv_x^2+v_y^2
v=45.5 m/s

pheta = cos^-1(v_x/sqrtv_x^2+v_y^2)
= 12.0 degrees

Could someone tell me if I followed the right procedures and if my answers are right or wrong?

so i really have no idea what you did but I'm going to walk you through how to get the right answer.

1. you got the components and initial height correct
2. now you have your components in the x direction and the y direction and you need to find out how long it takes for the negative acceleration sap all the velocity from the package, you got this part right and the fact that the package travels for twice that distance.
3. i have no idea how you figured that the distance it travels from release and back down to the ground.

the way to do it is take the first [tex] 2 \times 7.8s [/tex] and multiply that by it's [tex]V_x[/tex] and i get 685m. now it's at position (379+685, 652) and heading downwards and you have to find out how long it takes to get from there to y=0 or y=-652.

this is done using the position function

[tex] -652 = V_yt - \frac{1}{2}9.81t^2 = -76t -4.905t^2 [/tex]
important thing to know is that it comes down with the same [tex]V_y[/tex] with which it goes up but negative, so -76m/s. another thing to notice is that I've made the 652m altitude my origin, which is why everything is negative. now this is a quadratic equation solved either with the quadratic equation or by graphing, i graphed it and got t= 6.144s for it to drop the final 652m. multiply this by its [tex]V_x[/tex] and you got 271.5m. total distance from lift off to drop is 379+685+271.5 = 1335m

now for the vector you need to figure out the component velocities again and do the trig. i'll let you try that

Last edited:
total distance from lift off to drop is 379+685+271.5 = 1335m
The question says
Calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth.
The 379m is not part of this.

hage567 said:
The question says

The 379m is not part of this.

that is why i made it very transparent in my answer that i did include it in my final number

ice109 said:
that is why i made it very transparent in my answer that i did include it in my final number
It shouldn't be included in the final number. The distance from the point of release to when it hits the ground is 685 + 271.5 = 956.5m. The 379m is the distance from liftoff up to 652m, which is not part of the distance we are asked to find, so it is irrelevant.

By the way, I think your signs for v and a are mixed up in your quadratic equation.

hage567 said:
It shouldn't be included in the final number. The distance from the point of release to when it hits the ground is 685 + 271.5 = 956.5m. The 379m is the distance from liftoff up to 652m, which is not part of the distance we are asked to find, so it is irrelevant.

By the way, I think your signs for v and a are mixed up in your quadratic equation.

dude seriously , it's not that big of a deal, i chose to include the initial distance so he would know where in space the projectile was.

1 sign was wrong before all the numbers were plugged in, but the pertinent signs were all correct.

Thanks for all your help and input. I found the answer online on cramster.com and they showed how to do the problem step by step.

your exact problem?

Related to Kinematics in two Dimension- projectile motion

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and then moves in a curved path under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that involves both horizontal and vertical components.

2. What are the key equations for projectile motion?

The key equations for projectile motion are the horizontal and vertical components of the displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are:
- Horizontal displacement (x): x = x0 + v0 * t
- Vertical displacement (y): y = y0 + v0 * t + 1/2 * a * t2
- Horizontal velocity (vx): vx = v0
- Vertical velocity (vy): vy = v0 + a * t
- Horizontal acceleration (ax): ax = 0
- Vertical acceleration (ay): ay = -g (where g is the acceleration due to gravity, approximately 9.8 m/s2)

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance traveled by the object before it lands. To calculate the range, you can use the formula:
R = v0 * t * cos(θ)
Where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time of flight, and θ is the angle of launch. Alternatively, you can also use the formula:
R = (v02 * sin(2θ)) / g
Note that these equations assume a flat and level ground with no air resistance.

4. What is the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is the path that the object follows through space. It is a parabola shape due to the combined effects of the horizontal and vertical motions. If there is no air resistance, the trajectory will be symmetrical, but if there is air resistance, the trajectory will be slightly different on the way up and down.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the range of a projectile because it determines the initial velocity in the horizontal direction. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as this angle produces the maximum initial velocity in the horizontal direction while still allowing for a significant vertical component to keep the object in the air for a longer time. Launching at angles greater or less than 45 degrees will result in a shorter range.