Kinematics - Identifying and describing types of motion

In summary: For the second segment, by train, the carbon dioxide emission... is 0.01 tons.For the third segment, by truck, the carbon dioxide emission... is 0.01 tons.How would you calculate the total carbon dioxide emission for this route?In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the time per mode of transport and the total time for each journey of lettuce from its origin to Barrie. It also covered calculating fuel consumption and choosing the best route based on distance and carbon dioxide emissions. For b), the total time is calculated by adding the times for each partial route. For c), the total carbon dioxide emission is calculated by adding the given emission rates for each partial route.
alexandria

Homework Statement

upload_2016-3-11_0-3-36.png

a) Calculate the time per mode of transport of the lettuce from each starting point.
b) calculate the total time required for each complete journey of the lettuce from its origin to Barrie
c)
upload_2016-3-11_0-5-37.png

d)
upload_2016-3-11_0-6-6.png

e)
upload_2016-3-11_0-6-29.png

Homework Equations

time = distance / speed or t = d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

a) and b)
- for a) to calculate time per mode of transport, i divided the partial distances by the average speed
- for b) to calculate the total time to reach the final destination, i divided the total distance with the average speed
please tell me if this is correct.
upload_2016-3-11_0-9-54.png

c) this is the one i am having a hard time with, i am doing an online course so i have no help at all. If you could explain what I am supposed to do for c) to help me get started, that would be greatly appreciated. d) please tell me if this is correct
Route 1. Fuel consumed = (31 km) x (30 L / 100 km) = 9.3 L

Route 2. Fuel consumed = (63 km) x (1.2 L / 100 km) = 0.76 L

Route 3. Fuel consumed = (81 km) x (30 L / 100 km) = 24 L

Route 4. Fuel consumed = (2279 km) x (3.5 L / 100 km) = 80 L

Route 5. Fuel consumed = (81 km) x (30 L / 100 km) = 24 L

e) please tell me if I am right here.
Considering that each shipment of lettuce is priced at the same value, I would chose to purchase the lettuce
that travels the least distance (which would be the first route of lettuce). Since the lettuce travels less distance, the lettuce would be fresher, and of higher quality. It consumes a small amount of fuel (only 9.3 L) and does not produce a great amount of carbon dioxide emissions. Even though Route 2 consumes less fuel (0.76 L), it still has a longer distance to travel, meanin the lettuce will not be as fresh.

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-11_0-2-0.png
    upload_2016-3-11_0-2-0.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
alexandria said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 97161

a) Calculate the time per mode of transport of the lettuce from each starting point.
b) calculate the total time required for each complete journey of the lettuce from its origin to Barrie
c)
View attachment 97162
d)
View attachment 97163

e)
View attachment 97164

Homework Equations

time = distance / speed or t = d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

a) and b)
- for a) to calculate time per mode of transport, i divided the partial distances by the average speed
- for b) to calculate the total time to reach the final destination, i divided the total distance with the average speed
please tell me if this is correct.
View attachment 97165

c) this is the one i am having a hard time with, i am doing an online course so i have no help at all. If you could explain what I am supposed to do for c) to help me get started, that would be greatly appreciated.d) please tell me if this is correct
Route 1. Fuel consumed = (31 km) x (30 L / 100 km) = 9.3 L

Route 2. Fuel consumed = (63 km) x (1.2 L / 100 km) = 0.76 L

Route 3. Fuel consumed = (81 km) x (30 L / 100 km) = 24 L

Route 4. Fuel consumed = (2279 km) x (3.5 L / 100 km) = 80 L

Route 5. Fuel consumed = (81 km) x (30 L / 100 km) = 24 L

e) please tell me if I am right here.
Considering that each shipment of lettuce is priced at the same value, I would chose to purchase the lettuce
that travels the least distance (which would be the first route of lettuce). Since the lettuce travels less distance, the lettuce would be fresher, and of higher quality. It consumes a small amount of fuel (only 9.3 L) and does not produce a great amount of carbon dioxide emissions. Even though Route 2 consumes less fuel (0.76 L), it still has a longer distance to travel, meanin the lettuce will not be as fresh.
For b): the way you calculate b) is not correct. Think about it: how long does a journey take that consist of two legs?

For c): as it is stated, carbon dioxide emissions are (apparently) only dependent of the mode of transport, not the distance or time. That should make it easy to calculate the carbon dioxide emissions for each partial route, and then, by adding up these results, for each route.

For d): you have calculated the fuel consumed on each partial route. You still have to calculate the average fuel consumption for each of the three routes.

Last edited:
Can you give me an example for b) and c). I don't really understand what your trying to say
for c) would I multiply the amount of carbon dioxide emissions with each partial distance.
and for b) i don't understand what you mean by two legs??

alexandria said:
Can you give me an example for b) and c). I don't really understand what your trying to say
for c) would I multiply the amount of carbon dioxide emissions with each partial distance.
and for b) i don't understand what you mean by two legs??
For b):
Let's take the last route, from Solano CA to Barrie.
The first part of the route (by plane) takes 152.2 minutes. The second part (by truck) takes 54 minutes. How long does the whole route take? Do you think that the answer you gave, 162.6 minutes, makes sense?

For c):
It doesn't say that the given emission rate is per kilometer. I think you have to add the give carbon dioxide emissions for each partial route (that is: 0.01 tons for a truck/train partial route, 1.08 tons for a plane partial route).

thank you, i understand what you mean with part b)
for part c) however, could you give me an example like you did with b)
i

alexandria said:
thank you, i understand what you mean with part b)
for part c) however, could you give me an example like you did with b)
i
For c, it is stated:
upload_2016-3-11_0-5-37.png

Now imagine a route that consists of 3 segments (=partial routes): one by plane, one by train and one by truck.
For the first segment, by plane, the carbon dioxide emission is 1.08 tons.
For the second segment, by train, the carbon dioxide emission is 0.01 tons.
For the third segment, by truck, the carbon dioxide emission is 0.01 tons.
What would be the total carbon dioxide emission for the three segments taken together?

Related to Kinematics - Identifying and describing types of motion

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion. It studies the positions, velocities, and accelerations of objects as they move through space and time.

2. What are the different types of motion in kinematics?

The three types of motion in kinematics are translational motion, rotational motion, and oscillatory motion. Translational motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis, and oscillatory motion is the repeated back and forth motion of an object.

3. How do you identify the type of motion in a given scenario?

To identify the type of motion, you need to observe the object's movement and determine if it is moving in a straight line, rotating around an axis, or oscillating back and forth. You can also look at the object's position, velocity, and acceleration to further classify the type of motion.

4. What are the different ways to describe motion in kinematics?

Motion in kinematics can be described using various quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Displacement is the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and time is the duration of the motion.

5. How is kinematics used in real-world applications?

Kinematics is used in many real-world applications such as engineering, robotics, and sports. In engineering, it is used to design and analyze the motion of machines and structures. In robotics, kinematics is used to program the movement of robots. In sports, it is used to analyze the movements of athletes and improve their performance.