Kinematics - How do I apply them to different problems?

In summary, you need to solve for Vf and Vo to find the distance required for the plane to stop. Once you have those two values, you can plug them back into the original equation to find the time it will take to stop.
07triumphd675
Kinematics -- How do I apply them to different problems?

Homework Statement

A Jet plane lands with a speed of 100 m/s and can accelerate at a maximum rate of -5.00 m/s^2 as it comes to a rest. A) From the instant the plane touches the runway, what is the min. time needed before it can come to a rest? B) Can this plane land on a small tropical island airport where the runway is 0.800 km long?

Homework Equations

Constant acceleration (Velocity as a function of time): Vf=Vo + at

Displacement as a function of time: X = Vo + t(1/2)(a)(t^2)

Velocity as a function of displacement: V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm having a really tough time figuring out which equation to use where. I've deciphered what we're given.
Vf: 100 m/s
a = -5.00 m/s^2

The problem is asking in A) to find the time B) once we've found the time, we plug it back into one of the original equations (I would say the second one) to find the distance required for the plane to stop.

So, I take a stab at the first equation:

Vf = Vo + at

Vf = 100 m/s = Vo (I don't know the initial velocity) + (-5.00 m/s^2)(t)

So trying to solve for t: t= 105 m/s^3 - Vo

That doesn't make sense really. I keep getting hung up on these kinematic equations -- they keep coming back to haunt me in the next chapter when working on not only the x-axis but now the y-axis as well.

Physics news on Phys.org

You are having some algebra problems as well. I would say Vo=100m/s (since that's the initial velocity when it touches down) and Vf=0m/s (since it stops). So 0m/s=100m/s+(-5m/s^2)*t. Try solving that for t. Be careful.

x = Vo + t(1/2)(a)(t^2) (1)

Two unknowns: x and t

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax (2)

The term on the left is also (Vf)^2; in this problem, the plane is slowing down an Vf is 0. solve this equation for x, and substitute the result into (1) and solve for t. then you can solve for x to answer the second part.

Ahh okay. I got it now.

So solving for T using the first kinematics equation:

Vf = 0 m/s and Vo = 100 m/s

Vf = Vo + at

0 = 100m/s + (-5 m/s^2)(T)

-100 m/s = (-5 m/s^2)(T)

-100 m/s / -5 m/s^2 = T

T= 20 s

Using T then, plug it back into the second kinematics formula to find the distance required to land on the run way.

X = 100 m/s (20 s) + (1/2)(-5 m/s^2)(20^2)

Solving for x = 1000 m

Convert the 1000 m into km and you get 1 km required to land. Thus the answer is no since they're asking for .800 km.

That provides an awesome starting point. Thank-you so much.

Well done.

Related to Kinematics - How do I apply them to different problems?

1. What is kinematics and how is it used in problem-solving?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its causes, without considering the forces that cause the motion. It is used in problem-solving by providing a framework to analyze and describe the motion of objects, including their position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What are the three main equations used in kinematics?

The three main equations used in kinematics are the equations for average velocity, average acceleration, and displacement. These equations are v = d/t, a = (vf-vi)/t, and d = vit + 1/2at^2, respectively.

3. How do you apply kinematics to different types of problems?

To apply kinematics to different problems, you first need to identify the type of motion (e.g. constant velocity, uniform acceleration) and then choose the appropriate equations to use. You then plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are some common misconceptions about kinematics?

One common misconception about kinematics is that acceleration only refers to an increase in speed. In reality, acceleration can also refer to a decrease in speed or a change in direction. Another misconception is that velocity and acceleration are the same thing, when in fact velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

5. How can kinematics be applied to real-life situations?

Kinematics can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the speed of a car, determining the trajectory of a projectile, or analyzing the motion of a roller coaster. It can also be used in sports science to study the movements of athletes and in engineering to design and optimize machines and structures.