Kinematics - getting different answers when using different units

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum runway length needed for a jetliner to land, given its initial velocity and deceleration rate. The correct solution is found by converting all units to meters per second, while an incorrect solution is obtained by converting to kilometers per hour.
shwatwat

Homework Statement

A jetliner touches down at 270 km/h. The plane then decelerates (i.e., undergoes acceleration directed opposite its velocity) at 4.5 m/s2. What’s the minimum runway length on which this aircraft can land?

Homework Equations

v2fx = v2ix + 2axΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the solution doing this:

(270km/hr)(1000m/km)(hr/3600s) = 75m/s

0 = (75m/s)2 + 2(-4.5m/s2x
(-9m/s)Δx = 5625m2/s2
Δx = 625m

which is the correct answer.

however, i also tried to get the answer by converting everything to km/h, and i couldn't get the correct answer. i can't figure out why, and it's driving me crazy. here's what i tried:

0 = (270km/hr)2 + 2(-4.5 m/s2x
9m/s2Δx = 72900km2/hr2

and then an aside for unit conversion:

(9m/s2)(km/1000m)(3600s2/hr2) = 32.4km/hr2

i plugged that into get

32.4km/hr2Δx = 72900km2/hr2
Δx = 2250 km, which is much, much more than the 625 m that i got above.

what am i doing wrong?!?

thanks for the help, i really appreciate it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The conversion of the units in acceleration is way off.

voko said:
The conversion of the units in acceleration is way off.

how so?

this is probably a silly question but I've reworked this like four times and don't see what I'm doing wrong...

3600 times 3600 over 1000 must be obviously greater than 1000.

You are wrong at converting -4.5 m/s2 to 32.4 km/hr2
it is -58320 km/hr2

4.5 m/s2=[4.5(10-3)]/(3600*3600)-1
=(4.5*3600*3600)/1000
=58320
Hence,
0=2702+2(-58320)Δx
2702=116640*Δx
72900=116640*Δx
Δx=72900/116640
Δx=0.625km ( which is 625m)

thanks!

Related to Kinematics - getting different answers when using different units

1. Why do we get different answers in kinematics when using different units?

This is because the units we use to measure physical quantities affect the numerical value of the quantity. Different units have different conversion factors, which can cause variations in the calculated values. For example, if we measure distance in meters and time in seconds, we will get a different answer compared to measuring distance in kilometers and time in hours.

2. How do we ensure consistency in kinematics calculations when using different units?

To ensure consistency, we need to convert all the units to a common system. This can be achieved by using conversion factors to convert the units into a standard unit system, such as the International System of Units (SI). By using a standard unit system, we can make sure that our calculations are accurate and consistent.

3. Can we mix and match different units in kinematics calculations?

No, it is not recommended to mix and match different units in kinematics calculations. This can lead to errors and inconsistencies in the results. It is important to use the same units for all the quantities involved in the calculation to get an accurate result.

4. How do we convert units in kinematics calculations?

To convert units in kinematics calculations, we can use conversion factors. These are ratios that represent the relationship between different units. For example, to convert from meters to kilometers, we can use the conversion factor 1 km = 1000 m. By multiplying the given value in meters by this conversion factor, we can get the equivalent value in kilometers.

5. What is the significance of units in kinematics?

Units are crucial in kinematics because they provide a standard and consistent way to measure physical quantities. They allow us to compare and analyze data accurately and make predictions about the behavior of objects in motion. Without units, it would be challenging to communicate and understand the results of kinematics calculations.