Kinematics: find the particle's position as a function of time

In summary, the problem involves finding the position of a particle moving in one dimension with given mass and force as a function of position. The suggested method is to use the conversion z=Acosu on the given integral. The attempt at a solution includes using Newton's second law to find acceleration, integrating to find velocity, and then attempting to integrate again to find x. However, this approach is incorrect as it treats x as a constant. The suggested substitution of x=Acosu should help in solving the separable differential equation obtained from multiplying Newton's second law with velocity.
Elsewiir

Homework Statement

There is a particle that moves in 1-dimension. mass is m, force on the object is given as a function of position(x), Fx= -mω2x.(ω is constant) when t=0 particle has x0>0, and velocity is zero. find the particle's position as a function of time.

Homework Equations

There is a given hint for the problem. Use z=Acosu conversion on this integral
nSdRc5I.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did so far: I used Newton's second law so that i can find accerelation. Then i integrate accerelation function and find velocity function as a function of position. Lastly i integrate velocity function and i find x= x02x3/6. From there i can't do anything. I couldn't use motion equations because accerelation is not constant. And i couldn't find how to use this integral.

Attachments

• nSdRc5I.jpg
    nSdRc5I.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 314
Physics news on Phys.org
Elsewiir said:
What i did so far:
Please post your working, or we have little idea where you are going wrong.
(It looks like you have the wrong idea about how to solve differential eauations. You cannot integrate ∫f(x).dt as though it were ∫f(x).dx.)

haruspex said:
Please post your working, or we have little idea where you are going wrong.
(It looks like you have the wrong idea about how to solve differential eauations. You cannot integrate ∫f(x).dt as though it were ∫f(x).dx.)
Yes you are right. If i didn't make a mistake i find x= x02xt2/2

Elsewiir said:
Yes you are right. If i didn't make a mistake i find x= x02xt2/2
No, you can't do that either. That is treating x as a constant.
I don't uderstand why the hint quotes that integral, but the substitution it recommends should help. Try x=A cos(u).

haruspex said:
I don't uderstand why the hint quotes that integral,
I do. It is the integral you get in order to solve the separable differential equation obtained if you first multiply Newton 2 with ##\dot x## and integrate it.

Likes haruspex

Related to Kinematics: find the particle's position as a function of time

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the equation for finding the particle's position as a function of time?

The equation for finding the particle's position as a function of time is x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in real life to study and analyze the motion of objects, such as the movement of vehicles, projectiles, and celestial bodies. It is also used in fields such as engineering, biomechanics, and robotics to design and optimize the motion of machines and systems.

4. What are the three basic types of kinematics equations?

The three basic types of kinematics equations are equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be derived from the definition of average velocity and the relationship between velocity and acceleration.

5. How does kinematics differ from dynamics?

Kinematics focuses on the description and analysis of motion, while dynamics involves the study of the forces that cause motion. In other words, kinematics deals with the "what" and dynamics deals with the "why" of motion.