Kinematics 2 dimensions problem, golf ball being hit

In summary, a 4.7 x 10-2 kg golf ball is hit by Tiger Woods and travels a horizontal distance of 100 meters before landing in a hole. The initial velocity of the ball can be calculated using basic trigonometry and the known angle of 30 degrees between the velocity vector and the horizontal plane. Additional information about the time or maximum height reached is not necessary to solve the problem.
jehan4141
A golf ball mass of 4.7 x 10-2 kg is hit by Tiger Woods and drops exactly into a hole 100 meters away. It is observed that the angle between the initial velocity vector and the horizontal plane is 30 degrees.

What is the magnitude of the initial velocity?

Isn't the problem missing additional information? Like time to traverse the 100 meters in the x-direction or the maximum height it reaches??

I don't see how I can solve this problem with additional information.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the magnitude of the initial velocity is v0, then what is the vertical component, (v0)y, of the initial velocity? What is the horizontal component, (v0)x, of the initial velocity?

What do you know about the horizontal component of velocity during the balls flight?

What do you know about the vertical component of velocity during the balls flight?

Voy = Vo(sin30)
Vox = Vox(cos30)

I know that the horizontal component doesn't change but that the vertical component does because of gravity...that doesn't help much...? i don't have enough known values.

You do have enough values.

OHHHH okay oh my...i haven't done 2-d kinematics in a few weeks. thank you i got it. :)

Bread18 said:
You do have enough values.
WOW!

I didn't realize how good your hint was until I looked at OP's reply!

Impressive!

If the ball moved 50 meters horizontally on the first half of its parabolic motion, at an angle of 30 degrees, then use basic trig to find the height it achieved at the peak of the parabola: Tan(30)= x / 50

in the vertical component, you know your acceleration is 9.8(it would be negative but in this case the parabola is symmetric so it doesn't matter) and now you know your distance:
Vf=(2*A*D)^.5
Vf here would be the final velocity on the other side of the parabola, which is the same as the initial velocity on the first side of the parabola (where the ball is struck)
So really, Vi=(2*A*D)^.5

now that you know the upward velocity component and the angle, use trig to find the initial velocity, the hypotenuse: Sin30 = vi/hyp

that gives you your answer, you do have enough information... you just have to take a slightly indirect route

jehan4141 said:
A golf ball mass of 4.7 x 10-2 kg is hit by Tiger Woods and drops exactly into a hole 100 meters away. It is observed that the angle between the initial velocity vector and the horizontal plane is 30 degrees.

What is the magnitude of the initial velocity?

Isn't the problem missing additional information? Like time to traverse the 100 meters in the x-direction or the maximum height it reaches??

I don't see how I can solve this problem with additional information.

have a play with this:

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/more_stuff/Applets/ProjectileMotion/enapplet.html

The mass of the projectile makes no difference. You can adjust angle and initial speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Kinematics 2 dimensions problem, golf ball being hit

1. What is Kinematics 2 dimensions problem?

Kinematics 2 dimensions problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of an object in a two-dimensional space. It includes studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in both the x and y directions.

2. How is a golf ball being hit an example of Kinematics 2 dimensions problem?

When a golf ball is hit, it moves in two dimensions - the horizontal direction (x) and the vertical direction (y). The motion of the ball can be described using kinematic equations, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which the ball is hit.

3. What is the importance of solving Kinematics 2 dimensions problems in sports such as golf?

Solving Kinematics 2 dimensions problems in sports like golf helps us understand the factors that affect the motion of the ball, such as the initial velocity, angle of impact, and air resistance. This information can be used to improve the player's performance and make strategic decisions during the game.

4. What are the key equations used in solving Kinematics 2 dimensions problems?

The key equations used in solving Kinematics 2 dimensions problems are the equations of motion in two dimensions, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions. These equations can be derived from the fundamental kinematic equations.

5. How can we apply the principles of Kinematics 2 dimensions to real-life situations?

Kinematics 2 dimensions can be applied to various real-life situations, such as projectile motion, car accidents, and sports like golf and basketball. Understanding the principles of Kinematics 2 dimensions can help us analyze and predict the motion of objects in two-dimensional spaces, which is essential in fields such as engineering, aviation, and sports science.