Kinematic equation without time

In summary, the conversation is about a specific kinematic equation that omits time and the steps to solve it. The equation is V02+2a(x - x0) = 2V0V + V2 and the confusion lies in the term 2V0V. After expanding (V-V0)^2 correctly, it can be seen that -2V0V should be added to cancel it out. Different techniques such as writing each term on a separate line or counting terms can be used to avoid algebraic errors.
Bakatota
I understand most of the kinematic equations, but there is just this one equation that omits time from the equation. I always end up with V02+2a(x - x0) = 2V0V + V2

The 2V0V part is what I don't understand how to get rid of. So if you please could you do the equation with steps , I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the steps you took to get to that equation?

t = (V - V0)/a

x - x0 = V0((V-V0)/a) + .5a((V - V0/a)2)

x - x0 = (V0V - V02)/a + (V2 + V02)/2a

2a(x - x0) = 2V0V -2V02 + V2 +V02

V02+2a(x - x0) = 2V0V + V2

What do you get if you expand ##(V-V_0)^2##?

Edit: By the way, something seems to be wrong with the brackets in the last term of your second equation. I assumed that was just a typo, but if they look right to you then you need tk think about that too.

Last edited:
Oh I see what I did wrong. As you intimated, I did not expand (V - V0)2 correctly. Now I have -2V0V to cancel out.

That's right. Algebraic slips can be hard to spot. I sometimes write each term on a separate line when I'm expanding brackets, which makes it easier for me to not get distracted when I'm doing it. Then when I'm collecting terms together I put a little tick above each one as I copy it on to the next line so I don't lose one or double one up by accident. You can also count terms. You know that ##(V-V_0)^2## should give you three terms when expanded - that would have caught this error because your expansion only had two.

Related to Kinematic equation without time

1. What is a kinematic equation without time?

A kinematic equation without time is a mathematical formula used to calculate the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object in motion without using time as a variable. It is derived from the three basic kinematic equations, but with the variable for time removed.

2. How do you use a kinematic equation without time?

To use a kinematic equation without time, you need to know at least three of the four variables: initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and displacement. Plug in the known values into the appropriate equation and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the difference between a kinematic equation with time and without time?

The main difference between a kinematic equation with time and without time is that in the former, time is a variable while in the latter, it is not. This means that in equations without time, you can calculate the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object without needing to know how long it has been in motion.

4. Can a kinematic equation without time be used for any type of motion?

Yes, a kinematic equation without time can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion is in a straight line and the acceleration remains constant. This includes linear motion, projectile motion, and circular motion.

5. Why do we use kinematic equations without time?

Kinematic equations without time are useful because they allow us to calculate the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object in motion without needing to know how long it has been in motion. This can be helpful in situations where time is not known or is difficult to measure accurately.