Kicking a Football: Vertical Distance & Velocity

• Thread starter waldvocm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary, the ball would not even make it to the goal post if kicked from the point that the player is at. It would go over the bar by 14.0 meters.
waldvocm
A kicker must kick the football from a point 29.4m from the goal and clear a bar 3.00m above the ground. The ball leaves the ground with a speed of 20.0m/s at an angle of 53.0 degrees above the horizontal.

a) By how much does the ball clear, or fall short of the cross bar?

I used the equation R=vi^2 sin2(theta)/g to see how far the football would travel.

r+19.6 So the ball wouldn't even make it to the goal post. Correct?

b) When it gets to the cross bar, what is the vertical component of the ball's velocity?

This question makes me think my answer to a) is wrong because the x component would be zero. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does go over the bar. That range equation isn't much use here.
I think you will have to write out the equations for the horizontal and vertical motion and find the time when the ball crosses the goal.

When is the correct time to use that range equation?

So, I used the equation
yf=yi+vyit+.5ayt^2

And found the time that the football is passing over the goal post to be t=3.06

I then used the same equation and solved for yf using 3.00 as yi and the final y at that time is 6.0

So, my answer to a) would be...3.00m

For b) I used the equation vyf=vyi+ayt

My answer is -14.0

How are those equations and answers?

The range equation is supposed to give the horizontal distance it flies all right. I just meant it wouldn't help you find the answer to the question. My range equation is r = 2v^2sinθcosθ/g = 39 m.

I don't agree with your time of 3.06 s. Did you work with the horizontal equation 29.4 = v*cosθ*t to get that?

Related to Kicking a Football: Vertical Distance & Velocity

1. How does the angle of the kick affect the vertical distance and velocity of a football?

The angle of the kick does not have a significant impact on the vertical distance of a football. However, it does affect the velocity. A kick with a larger angle will result in a higher velocity, while a kick with a smaller angle will result in a lower velocity. This is because a larger angle allows for a longer distance for the ball to accelerate, while a smaller angle limits this distance.

2. What is the relationship between the force of the kick and the vertical distance and velocity of a football?

The force of the kick has a direct relationship with the vertical distance and velocity of a football. The greater the force applied to the ball, the higher the vertical distance and velocity will be. This is because force is one of the factors that determine the acceleration of the ball.

3. How does air resistance affect the vertical distance and velocity of a football?

Air resistance has a significant impact on the vertical distance and velocity of a football. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance, which acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion. This resistance slows down the ball and reduces its velocity, resulting in a shorter vertical distance. Additionally, the shape and texture of the ball can also affect the amount of air resistance it experiences.

4. Can the height of a person kicking a football affect the vertical distance and velocity?

The height of a person kicking a football can affect the vertical distance and velocity to a certain extent. A taller person may be able to generate more force and potentially kick the ball at a higher angle, resulting in a higher vertical distance and velocity. However, the technique and strength of the kick are more significant factors in determining the distance and velocity of the ball.

5. How does the surface on which a football is kicked affect its vertical distance and velocity?

The surface on which a football is kicked can have a significant impact on its vertical distance and velocity. A smoother surface, such as a field turf, will result in less friction and allow the ball to travel further with a higher velocity. On the other hand, a rougher surface, like grass, will create more friction and limit the distance and velocity of the ball. Additionally, the condition of the surface, such as wet or dry, can also affect the distance and velocity of the ball.