Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Keywords for google

• Admin

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Just for fun I tried to find MHB with google.

I first tried "please! I need urgent HELP with my math problem!!!"
Kind of funny, because the only site I know that showed up is yahoo answers.
And I'm pretty sure it should have given a hit on any of the math forums.

With "math help" I couldn't find much either, although a couple of known sites showed up.

After a few tries, I zoomed in on the keyword "forum".
With "math forum" or "forum math help" I can find most forums... but not MHB.
It leads me to suspect that this site does not expose the keyword "forum".

Searching for a title of a thread gives a direct hit.
It seems to depend a bit whether I can find a sentence in a post.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I found us on page 4 when I search google using the keywords "math help." The admins are looking at ways to improve our visibility in the search engines.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just for fun I tried to find MHB with google.

I first tried "please! I need urgent HELP with my math problem!!!"
Kind of funny, because the only site I know that showed up is yahoo answers.
And I'm pretty sure it should have given a hit on any of the math forums.

With "math help" I couldn't find much either, although a couple of known sites showed up.

After a few tries, I zoomed in on the keyword "forum".
With "math forum" or "forum math help" I can find most forums... but not MHB.
It leads me to suspect that this site does not expose the keyword "forum".

Searching for a title of a thread gives a direct hit.
It seems to depend a bit whether I can find a sentence in a post.
I found us on page 4 when I search google using the keywords "math help." The admins are looking at ways to improve our visibility in the search engines.
Correction: the admins have looked at ways to improve our visibility in the search engines. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a way to earn a living, because it is so complicated. Google is pretty hush-hush about a lot of their algorithms, so a lot of SEO is reverse engineering. We have some SEO modules installed, but the admins currently think that word-of-mouth or word-of-electrons is a better tool to increase visibility. If you get your user base up, the search engines will definitely notice.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The main phrase we've focused on is "free math help" and we should be on the 2nd page for most people, maybe the 3rd. These kind of keyword phrases are very high volume and not the thing we are focusing on right now. Last year I invested a good bit of money in SEO optimization and the results were minimal. As Ackbach said, we are not focusing on marketing and promotion that isn't directly related to our Google ranking but should directly affect our Google ranking if successful. Basically, if we continue to have good content (new threads) and can steadily grow, as we have been and continue to do, then our Google ranking will improve.

We are always open to suggestions as to how we can improve anything, but believe me when I say we are aware of search engine rankings and where we stand. We definitely want to improve our ranking, but that isn't the end all, be all. The quality of MHB must come first and given enough time that will lead to more popularity.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
As a student my main concern is to understand a certain subject each semester and if I face a problem which can be of two types :

1- Problem in concept : I will prefer to read a pdf file to understand or to search through wikipedia to get the full information or watch a video , so I thought that a pdf version for lessons will be so powerful which I am currently working on with my integration lessons.

2- A certain problem that I cannot solve then I consider two cases :

2.1- I google the row problem as it is , which usually doesn't work because most likely the problem is new , or the search engine does not necessarily recognizes it .
2.2- I know a help forum which can answer my questions.

Now how do I know there are such forums , for the most part I don't know if they even exists so social networks is a good way to advertise for that , moreover youtube is a powerful tool to use.

When I registered for the first forum, the reason for that was I wanted to improve myself by looking at other's problems and try to solve them but when I searched for math forums MHB wasn't on the list!

So , I thought math help is a very general term to use , it gives the since that we are doing your homework so come to us . Because I don't usually just search for math help just like that! So I thought that math forum is a better way to go about it.

I don't find it important for the time-being to focus on ranking if we can improve our content and make new things that never been done before I am sure with time this forum will just rise to the top of most search engines ...

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm going to marked this thread as [SOLVED] because I think all relevant information on the subject has been discussed on the staff and user end for the time being. If you have any more suggestions please let us know.