Keq Concept: No Liquids in Keq

In summary, for calculating Keq for an acid dissociation, the standard state for the solvent (usually water) is included in the equilibrium expression. This is due to the fact that for diluted substances, the concentration of the solvent is taken as the standard state, which is usually very close to its concentration in pure form.
zmike
So I see in my book that for an acid dissociation, the Ka = K eq [H 2 O]
and that the Keq includes H2O in the eqn. Shouldn't there be no liquids in Keq?

Keq = [H 3 O + ] [A - ]
[HA] [H 2 O]

Why is there H2O in Keq?
If I am asked to calculate Keq do I have I have to include [H2O]?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's a question of standard state. For diluted substances you use, simplified, the concentration c divided by the concentration [itex] c^0[/itex] =1 mole/l, e.g. [itex] [HA]=c_{HA}/c^0_{HA} [/itex]. For the solvent you use as standard state the pure solvent that is for water [itex] c^0=[/itex] 55.5 mole/l.
So the concentration of H2O in a dilute solution of the acid is very nearly the concentration of H2O in pure water, hence the quotient which enters the equilibrium factor is nearly 1.

Related to Keq Concept: No Liquids in Keq

1. What is the Keq concept?

The Keq concept is a mathematical representation of the equilibrium constant in a chemical reaction. It is expressed as the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium, and is used to determine the direction and extent of a reaction.

2. How is Keq calculated?

Keq is calculated by taking the concentration of the products at equilibrium and dividing it by the concentration of the reactants at equilibrium, with each concentration raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients.

3. Why are liquids not included in Keq?

Liquids are not included in Keq because their concentration does not change significantly during the course of a reaction. Therefore, their presence does not affect the equilibrium constant.

4. Can solids be included in Keq?

No, solids are also not included in Keq because their concentration remains constant during a reaction and does not affect the equilibrium constant.

5. What is the significance of Keq in chemistry?

Keq is significant in chemistry as it allows us to predict the direction and extent of a reaction at equilibrium. It also provides valuable information about the relative concentrations of products and reactants in a chemical system.