Keppler's third law and the speed of cellestial bodies.

In summary, Kepler's third law states that the speed of an object orbiting around our sun is directly dependant on the object's average distance to the sun.
Nikitin
Hi. Keppler's third law implicates that the velocity of an object orbiting around our sun is directly dependant on the object's average distance to the sun... Afterall, if the velocity of be more irregular, then no constant would exist.

I realize this probably has something to do with the average centripetal force provided by the gravity of the sun...

I was thinking that this is because the longer away an object is the bigger its orbit and thus the smaller the average centripetal force and thus one could assume that it is possible that the speed must be smaller as well? mass*(v^2)/r=centripetal force. But then again the radius r is also bigger if the orbit is bigger and that allows for a larger speed..

bah.

And:

The next sub-chapter of my physics book it is about Newton's work with gravity and using that jazz to prove keppler's laws.. So maybe I will find out eventually tho still I'd appreciate it if you people could make some simple explanations.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The larger the radius, the lower the velocity must be in order to sustain an orbit. In an elliptical orbit the orbiting body moves faster as the distance between it and the larger body decreases, with a max velocity at its closest approach, perigee. After that it slows down until it reaches apogee, or farthest approach.

Nikitin said:
Hi. Keppler's third law implicates that the velocity of an object orbiting around our sun is directly dependant on the object's average distance to the sun... Afterall, if the velocity of be more irregular, then no constant would exist.

I realize this probably has something to do with the average centripetal force provided by the gravity of the sun...

I was thinking that this is because the longer away an object is the bigger its orbit and thus the smaller the average centripetal force and thus one could assume that it is possible that the speed must be smaller as well? mass*(v^2)/r=centripetal force. But then again the radius r is also bigger if the orbit is bigger and that allows for a larger speed..

bah.

In a simple case, consider a circular orbit where the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular path is equal to the force of gravity or:

[tex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}= \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

This reduces to

[tex]\frac{GM}{r} = v^2[/tex]

Given that the period(P) is the time it would take for the object to travel a distance of [itex]2\pi r[/itex]

A little algebra will get you

[tex]P^2 = 4 \pi^2 \frac{r^3}{GM}[/tex]

Which demonstrates Kepler's third law.

thanks=) everyone

janus: I'll be learning about that formula you posted (force of gravity) in the next sub-chapter chapter

After reading the next chapter, I understand everything, Janus. A very elegant explanation imo^^

Related to Keppler's third law and the speed of cellestial bodies.

1. What is Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law, also known as the "law of harmonies," states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. In other words, the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer it takes to complete one orbit.

2. How was Kepler's third law derived?

Kepler's third law was derived by German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century, using observations made by Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe. Kepler noticed a pattern in the orbital periods of planets, and after years of calculations and testing, he was able to formulate his third law.

3. Does Kepler's third law apply to all celestial bodies?

Yes, Kepler's third law applies to all celestial bodies orbiting a central mass, including planets, moons, and even artificial satellites. It has been proven to hold true for our solar system as well as other planetary systems in the universe.

4. How does Kepler's third law relate to the speed of celestial bodies?

Kepler's third law indirectly relates to the speed of celestial bodies by stating that the farther a body is from the central mass it is orbiting, the slower its orbital speed will be. This is because the gravitational pull of the central mass weakens with distance, resulting in a longer orbital period and slower speed.

5. Can Kepler's third law be used to calculate the speed of celestial bodies?

No, Kepler's third law does not directly provide a calculation for the speed of celestial bodies. It only relates the orbital period and distance from the central mass. However, by knowing these values, other equations and laws, such as Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation, can be used to calculate the speed of celestial bodies.