Kepler's Third Law and centripetal acceleration

In summary, Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This law is related to centripetal acceleration because it describes the relationship between a planet's orbital period and its distance from the sun, which is directly related to its centripetal acceleration. Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where "a" is the acceleration, "v" is the velocity, and "r" is the radius of the circular motion. Centripetal acceleration is different from centrifugal force, which is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Kepler's
Shackleford
I'm not getting very far with these problems. Don't know what my problem is.

Given a circular orbit, the centripetal acceleration is given by the gravitational force between the two stars. I chose the center to be halfway between the stars d/2.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-13225621.jpg?t=1284437088

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-13225642.jpg?t=1284437089

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing v in terms of d and τ.

vela said:
Try writing v in terms of d and τ.

pi*d = vt

(1/t)*pi*d = v

v = pi*d*τ

That doesn't get me anywhere.

Last edited:

Related to Kepler's Third Law and centripetal acceleration

1. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun.

2. How is Kepler's Third Law related to centripetal acceleration?

Kepler's Third Law is related to centripetal acceleration because it describes the relationship between a planet's orbital period and its distance from the sun, which is directly related to its centripetal acceleration.

3. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where "a" is the acceleration, "v" is the velocity, and "r" is the radius of the circular motion.

4. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular motion, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force does not actually exist, as it is just an inertial force.

5. How does Kepler's Third Law and centripetal acceleration apply to the motion of planets around the sun?

Kepler's Third Law and centripetal acceleration explain the elliptical orbits and varying speeds of planets around the sun. The closer a planet is to the sun, the faster it orbits due to the higher centripetal acceleration. This relationship is described by Kepler's Third Law.