Kepler's Law sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term calculation

In summary, the expectation value equals solid angle multiplied by sin3 i. This factor represents the relationship between the unknown actual sum of masses and the observable quantity. To analyze this statistically, it is assumed that the orientations of the binaries are randomly distributed over the full solid angle, requiring the use of the average value of sin3 i.
kdlsw
It's part c I don't understand, why the expectation value equals to solid angle * sin3 i? I mean, what role does the solid angle play? Thank you

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    34.5 KB · Views: 595
Physics news on Phys.org
kdlsw said:
It's part c I don't understand, why the expectation value equals to solid angle * sin3 i?
It does not. sin3 i is the factor between the unknown actual sum of the masses and the quantity you can observe.

You cannot find the actual sum of masses for each binary, but you can do a statistical analysis - with the assumption that the orientations of the binaries are randomly distributed over the full solid angle. To do this, you need the average value of sin3 i over the full solid angle.

Related to Kepler's Law sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term calculation

1. What are Kepler's Laws?

Kepler's Laws are three fundamental rules that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They were discovered by the German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century.

2. What is the sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term in Kepler's Third Law?

The sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term is a mathematical term that appears in Kepler's Third Law, which states that the ratio of the cube of a planet's orbital period to the square of its semi-major axis is constant for all planets in our solar system. The sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term represents the inclination of a planet's orbit, or the angle between the plane of its orbit and the plane of the Earth's orbit around the sun.

3. How is the sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term calculated?

The sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term is calculated using trigonometry. It involves taking the sine of the inclination angle (i) and cubing the result. This value is then used in Kepler's Third Law equation to determine the relationship between a planet's orbital period and semi-major axis.

4. What is the significance of the sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term in Kepler's Third Law?

The sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term is significant because it allows scientists to accurately predict the orbital period of a planet based on its distance from the sun and the angle of its orbit. It also helps to explain the variations in orbital periods among planets in our solar system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term in Kepler's Third Law?

While the sin[SUP]3[/SUP] i term is a useful tool for calculating the orbital period of planets in our solar system, it does have limitations. It assumes that the planets have circular orbits, when in reality, most orbits are elliptical. It also does not take into account the influence of other celestial bodies, such as moons, on a planet's orbit.