Kelvin Waves: How Do They Work and Why Do They Move Along the Coast?

In summary, Kelvin waves are a type of ocean wave that are caused by changes in ocean temperature and salinity. They are created by disturbances in the ocean and can cause changes in sea level and ocean currents as they move along the coast. This movement is due to the Earth's rotation and can have significant impacts on coastal communities. Scientists study and monitor Kelvin waves using tools such as satellite imagery, ocean buoys, and computer models to better understand their behavior and potential impacts.
ATY
can somebody explain to me how kelvin waves are working ? I just found, that the waves move along the coast due to the coriolis force, but I have no clue why this is happening.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Think of sending a ball off in some direction in a rotating frame. What happens to the ball's path (viewed in the frame) due to Coriolis?

Hey, thank you for the reply. I've found a book that explains it very well.

Likes olivermsun

Related to Kelvin Waves: How Do They Work and Why Do They Move Along the Coast?

1. What are Kelvin waves?

Kelvin waves are a type of ocean wave that are caused by changes in ocean temperature and salinity. They are named after Lord Kelvin, a renowned physicist who first described their behavior in the late 19th century.

2. How do Kelvin waves work?

Kelvin waves are created when there is a disturbance in the ocean, such as a change in temperature or salinity. This disturbance causes the water to move up and down, creating a wave. As the wave moves along the coast, it can cause changes in sea level and ocean currents.

3. Why do Kelvin waves move along the coast?

Kelvin waves move along the coast because of the Earth's rotation. This phenomenon, known as the Coriolis effect, causes the waves to turn and travel along the coast. The direction of the wave's movement depends on the hemisphere in which it is located.

4. What is the significance of Kelvin waves?

Kelvin waves play an important role in ocean circulation and can have significant impacts on coastal communities. They can cause changes in sea level, temperature, and ocean currents, which can affect marine life and weather patterns.

5. How are Kelvin waves studied and monitored?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study and monitor Kelvin waves, including satellite imagery, ocean buoys, and computer models. By analyzing these data, scientists can better understand the behavior of Kelvin waves and their potential impacts on the ocean and coastal regions.