Kelvin Scale Accuracy: Why 1K = 1°C?

In summary, the Kelvin scale is considered more advantageous than the Celsius scale because its zero point is absolute zero, making thermodynamic formulas simpler. However, this does not mean that the Kelvin scale is more accurate, as accuracy and precision are properties of the measuring device rather than the measurement scale. The choice of using Kelvin in physics is not based on accuracy, but rather on its status as the "absolute" scale.
CheesyPeeps
Why is the Kelvin scale more accurate than the Celsius scale when a change of 1K is equal to a change of 1°C? It's something I've always wondered about but never looked into.

(Apologies if the answer is incredibly simple. I'm still very new to the world of physics :smile:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Accuracy and precision are properties of the measuring device, not the measurement scale. You could have an accurate thermometer marked in Celcius and an inaccurate thermometer marked in Kelvin.

The advantage of Kelvin over Celsius is that the zero point in Kelvin is absolute zero while the zero point in Celsius is just the freeing point of water. When doing thermodynamics the formulas become simpler when 0 is set to absolute zero.

Ah, that makes sense. I definitely see why Kelvin is advantageous.
Thanks a lot!

CheesyPeeps said:
Why is the Kelvin scale more accurate than the Celsius scale when a change of 1K is equal to a change of 1°C? It's something I've always wondered about but never looked into.

Where did you get the idea that the Kelvin scale is more accurate than the Celsius scale?

We tend to use the Kelvin scale in many situations in physics not because it is more accurate. But rather, that is considered, in thermodynamics, as the "absolute" scale. It has nothing to do with accuracy, as DaleSpam stated.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Where did you get the idea that the Kelvin scale is more accurate than the Celsius scale?

My physics teacher told the class it was more accurate, which I knew didn't make sense since 1K and 1°C are equal in size.
Thanks for clearing things up for me. That saved me from a lot more confusion!

CheesyPeeps said:
My physics teacher told the class it was more accurate, which I knew didn't make sense since 1K and 1°C are equal in size.
Thanks for clearing things up for me. That saved me from a lot more confusion!

Either you heard wrong, or that teacher has a very poor understanding of physics.

The K scale makes much more sense, in any case, as it starts at Zero. Any Physics lab on another planet could easily choose the same starting point. Of course, the step size would still be a bit arbitrary. Some (just one) other defined temperature would need to be chosen and they we could converse with them about Thermodynamics with no trouble.
The fact that we could never actually get to 0K, is a mere detail. . . . .

1. What is the Kelvin Scale?

The Kelvin Scale is an absolute temperature scale used in scientific measurements. It is based on the concept of absolute zero, where there is no molecular movement, and is measured in units of Kelvins (K).

2. How is the Kelvin Scale related to the Celsius Scale?

The Kelvin Scale is directly related to the Celsius Scale, where 0 degrees Celsius (°C) is equivalent to 273.15 Kelvins (K). This means that 1 degree increment on the Celsius Scale is equal to 1 Kelvin increment on the Kelvin Scale.

3. Why is 1 Kelvin equal to 1 degree Celsius?

This is because the Kelvin Scale is based on the same unit increment as the Celsius Scale, but with a different starting point. One degree Kelvin (K) is equivalent to one degree Celsius (°C), with the only difference being the starting point.

4. How accurate is the Kelvin Scale in relation to the Celsius Scale?

The Kelvin Scale is considered more accurate than the Celsius Scale because it is an absolute scale and does not depend on external factors such as atmospheric pressure. It also allows for more precise measurements in scientific experiments.

5. Why is the Kelvin Scale important in scientific research?

The Kelvin Scale is important in scientific research because it provides a standard and consistent reference point for temperature measurements. It is also used in various scientific equations and experiments, particularly in the fields of physics and chemistry.