KCL Nodal Analysis & Power to Resistor (Need help)

In summary, The conversation is about a homework problem involving a circuit and the attempt at solving it using nodal analysis. The person seeking help is unsure about their solution and asks for clarification. They are advised to check for errors and use a supernode in their analysis.)
hdp12

Homework Statement

Here is the homework problem I was given:
SS 2015-09-20 at 3.51.03 PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_5338.JPG

Above is the work that I began, however, I have an overwhelming feeling that I am incorrect and also I don't know how to continue to the next part/parts. Would someone please help me?
Thank you
H

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked each part, but I do see an issue: note that in your second equation, you've got a voltage plus a current. Any time you're adding different units, something has gone wrong.

Last edited:
axmls said:
I haven't checked each part, but I do see an issue: note that in your second equation, you' a got a voltage plus a current. Any time you're adding different units, something has gone wrong.
You're right, I can't do that..
Is the Voltage at the second node equal to the Voltage source, since there's nothing in between the Voltage source and the node?

hdp12 said:
You're right, I can't do that..
Is the Voltage at the second node equal to the Voltage source, since there's nothing in between the Voltage source and the node?
no. there is a resistor AND a voltage source in between the two nodes. If you want to do nodal anlysis you'll need to use a 'supernode'

Related to KCL Nodal Analysis & Power to Resistor (Need help)

What is KCL nodal analysis?

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) nodal analysis is a method used to solve electrical circuits by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law to each node in the circuit. It involves writing equations for the sum of currents entering and leaving each node, and then solving for the unknown node voltages.

How do I apply KCL nodal analysis?

To apply KCL nodal analysis, follow these steps:

• Identify all of the nodes in the circuit
  • Choose a reference node and assign it a voltage of 0
  • Write KCL equations for each node by summing the currents entering and leaving the node
  • Substitute in known values and solve for the unknown node voltages

What is the power to resistor in KCL nodal analysis?

The power to resistor in KCL nodal analysis refers to the amount of power dissipated by a resistor in an electrical circuit. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law (P = I²R) or by using the voltage drop across the resistor and the current flowing through it (P = IV).

What is the importance of KCL nodal analysis?

KCL nodal analysis is an important tool for analyzing and solving electrical circuits. It allows us to determine the voltage at each node in the circuit, which is essential for understanding the behavior of the circuit and designing efficient and effective electrical systems.

Are there any limitations to KCL nodal analysis?

While KCL nodal analysis is a powerful method for solving electrical circuits, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to circuits that can be represented using a single reference node and linear equations. It also becomes more complex and time-consuming for larger and more complex circuits.