Wanting to learn to speak Gaelic

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of learning Gaelic, specifically Scottish or Irish, and which one would be recommended. It is mentioned that Irish Gaelic has a larger number of speakers and is more widespread due to a revivalist movement. The connection between Scottish and Irish Gaelic is also mentioned, with a recommendation to choose the original Irish Gaelic. The conversation also touches on the mutual intelligibility of Goidelic Celtic languages and the number of speakers for each.
photon
I have been wanting to learn to speak Gaelic. Does anyone hear speak it? A problem I've run into is which one to learn. Scottish or Irish? Which would you reccommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
So noneone here speaks Gaelic, eh?
Oh well. Maybe I'll just go kick a rock or something.
:smile: [b(] :frown:

I recently came across some audio files for learning Irish, and thought about giving it a try... but I dunno. I guess I have nothing to add to this thread!

- Warren

Many of my former girlfriends speak fluent Irish Gaelic.

Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic are quite simlair (the Irish invaders the Dal-riadian 'Scots' who brought Gaelic with them having arrived in Scotland from Ulster 1500 yrs ago).

English is of course by far the most predominat language in Scotland and Ireland, but Irish Gaelic has been subject to a revivalist movemnt and is much more widespread than Scottish Gaelic which is only really spoken at the very tip of the Highlands. So I'd choose Irish Gaelic as you've got far more chance of meeting someone who can speak it either as a first or second language than you have got of meeting someone who can speak Scottish Gaelic.

Yeah. And as I understand, Scottish Gaelic came from the Irish Gaelic.
So I'll go with the original.
PS. Its really cool when a whole sentence is strung together in Gaelic. It just sounds cool.
:smile:

I'm going to Ireland to study Irish Gaelic in a few years.

As I understand it there is quite a reasonable degree of mutual intelegibilty among the Goidelic Celtic languages (Irish and Scottish Gaelic and Manx) and yes they do have a common route from the Goidelic Celtic spoken in Ireland in the first half of the first millenia (the history of the Dal-Riadians and the forming of the kingdom of Scotland is quite interesting).

I've done some checking and Irish Celtic has about 250,000 speakers and 80,000 for Scottish Gaelic and 70,000 for Manx compared to about 500,000 speakers each for the extent Brythonic Celtic languages - Welsh and Breton.

well i think that there is a greeting in Scottish Gaelic which goes something like this

"Dia Esmuhra Guhit"

I'm not sure if that is exactly right but say it to someone and if you get a broken jaw, you can blame me!

What is Gaelic?

Gaelic refers to a group of Celtic languages spoken primarily in Ireland and Scotland. The term "Gaelic" can also specifically refer to the Irish language, also known as Irish Gaelic.

Why should I learn to speak Gaelic?

Learning to speak Gaelic can help you connect with your Irish or Scottish heritage, as well as broaden your cultural understanding. It can also open up opportunities for travel, work, and communication with Gaelic speakers.

Is Gaelic difficult to learn?

Like any language, learning Gaelic requires time, effort, and dedication. However, many people find Gaelic to be a challenging but rewarding language to learn, especially if they have a passion for Celtic culture and history.

How can I learn to speak Gaelic?

There are various ways to learn Gaelic, including online courses, classes at a language school, immersion programs, and self-study using textbooks and resources. It's important to find a method that works best for you and your learning style.

Are there different dialects of Gaelic?

Yes, there are several dialects of Gaelic, including Scottish Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, and Manx. While they share many similarities, there are also differences in pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar. It's important to choose which dialect you want to learn and stick with it to avoid confusion.