Kalman Filter Derivation with Non-Diagonal Q Matrix

In summary, the Kalman filter derivation does not require the noise matrix Q to be diagonal. It just needs to be a symmetric positive semidefinite matrix. Additionally, in likelihood estimation of coefficients and dynamic factor models, the transformation matrix C may be chosen using Cholesky decomposition, where it should be lower triangular.
spirall
Hi all,

I have a standard local level model, but the disturbances are not independent:
y_t=μ_t+ε_t, μ_t+1=μ_t+η_t, E(ε_t η_t) =/= 0

In order to derive the Kalman filter, I rewrite this model in state space form
y_t=Z_t α_t+ε_t, ε_t~NID(0,H_t ),
α_(t+1)=T_t α_t+R_t η_t, η_t~NID(0,Q_t ),
α_1~N(a_1,P_1 ),

α_t=[μ_t
ξ_t ]

Z_t=[1 1],
H_t=0,

Q_t=[σ_η^2 σ_ξη
σ_ξη σ_ξ^2 ],

T_t=[1 0
0 0],

R_t=[1 0
0 1],

η_t=[η_t
ξ_(t+1)].

I wonder whether there is any difference in the derivation of the Kalman filter, since the matrix Q in not diagonal.

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's nothing in the formulation or derivation of the Kalman filter that requires the noise matrix Q to be diagonal. It just needs to qualify as a covariance matrix. In other words, it needs to be a symmetric positive semidefinite matrix.

Thank you for reply.

And what about likelihood estimation of coefficients of system matrices if the transition matrix T depends on some exogenous variables (I suppose this is possible)?

I have one more question about dynamic factor model. I consider transformation approach (yL_t=A_L y_t) and look for transformation matrix A=[A_L A_H]' such as:
Ʃ_L=A_L H A´_L
A_L=CZ´H^-1
If I use Cholesky decomposition, the matrix C should be lower triangular. But how I choose it?

Related to Kalman Filter Derivation with Non-Diagonal Q Matrix

1. What is the Kalman filter and how does it work?

The Kalman filter is a mathematical algorithm used to estimate the state of a system based on a series of measurements. It works by combining information from a prediction model and real-time measurements to produce a more accurate estimate of the system's state.

2. What is the purpose of deriving the Kalman filter?

The purpose of deriving the Kalman filter is to mathematically derive and understand the principles and equations behind the algorithm. This allows for a deeper understanding of how the filter works and how to apply it to different systems and scenarios.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the derivation of the Kalman filter?

The key assumptions made in the derivation of the Kalman filter include: linearity of the system, Gaussian noise in both the measurement and prediction models, and independence between the errors in the prediction and measurement models.

4. What are the main steps involved in the derivation of the Kalman filter?

The main steps in the derivation of the Kalman filter include: formulating the prediction and measurement models, combining them using Bayes' rule, obtaining the posterior distribution, and simplifying the equations to obtain the final recursive equations for the Kalman filter.

5. What are some applications of the Kalman filter in scientific research?

The Kalman filter has a wide range of applications in scientific research, including but not limited to: tracking and predicting the movement of objects, estimating the state of a physical system, and filtering noisy sensor data in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.