K+/- Decay: Angular Momentum Explained

• Thread starter Broken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary: The W boson is an elementary particle and can have a well-defined spin. In summary, the common leptonic decay channels for the K^{+/-} involve the annihilation of two quarks into a W^{+/-} which then decays into an electron/muon neutrino pair. Despite the K^{+/-} having a spin of 0, the W^{+/-} has a spin of 1. This can be explained by giving the W^{+/-} an orbital angular momentum of 1, resulting in a total angular momentum of 0. It is also important to note that while virtual particles may not follow the same rules as real particles, conservation of four-momentum, angular momentum, and
Broken
So, the common leptonic decay channels for the [itex]K^{+/-}[/itex] is the two quarks annhilating into a [itex]W^{+/-}[/itex] which then decays into whatever electron/muon neutrino pair. What's confusing me is that the [itex]K^{+/-}[/itex] is [itex]J=0[/itex] but the intermediate [itex]W[/itex] is [itex]J=1[/itex]. Is the answer to give the [itex]W[/itex] one unit of orbital angular momentum such that there is a state of 0 total angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
A real W has a well-defined spin. But this is a virtual W.

I thought only E and p was concerned in virutal verticies. Then one can argue that neither electric charge or anything else must be conserved in verticies, if one allows angular momentum to be violated aswell.

The thing I think is that the W is emitted in a relative angular momentum L = 1, then L = 1 and J = 1 can add to 0.

Just what I have thought of.

malawi_glenn said:
I thought only E and p was concerned in virutal verticies. Then one can argue that neither electric charge or anything else must be conserved in verticies, if one allows angular momentum to be violated aswell.

I agree. Virtual particles are off-shell (P^2 is not equal to m^2) but four-momentum is conserved at the vertices as well as angular momentum, charge and any other conserved quantum numbers.

Also remember that the K meson is not an elementary particle, it is a composite system of a quark and an antiquark

Related to K+/- Decay: Angular Momentum Explained

1. What is K+/- decay?

K+/- decay is a type of radioactive decay that occurs in unstable particles called kaons. It involves the transformation of a kaon particle into another type of particle, along with the release of energy.

2. How does K+/- decay occur?

K+/- decay occurs through the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. This force causes the transformation of the kaon particle into other particles, such as pions and muons.

3. What is angular momentum in K+/- decay?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a particle. In K+/- decay, angular momentum is conserved, meaning that it remains constant throughout the decay process.

4. What is the role of angular momentum in K+/- decay?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in K+/- decay as it determines the direction and speed of the particles produced after the decay. It also helps to explain why certain particles are more likely to be produced than others during the decay process.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in K+/- decay?

Angular momentum is conserved in K+/- decay through the spin and momentum of the particles involved. The total angular momentum of the initial kaon particle must equal the total angular momentum of the particles produced after the decay.