Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

K-algebra proof

Fermat

Nov 3, 2013
Let A be the K-algebra of 2 x 2 upper triangular matrices. Thinking of $K^2$ as an A module with the action of matrix multiplication, prove that End($K^2$)=K.

You may use the fact that the centraliser of A consists of all scalar multiples of identity matrix

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Could you please specify if you mean:

$\text{End}_K(K^2)$
$\text{End}_{\Bbb Z}(K^2)$ or:
$\text{End}_A(K^2)$

as all of these are different structures....

I suspect you mean the latter, that is you want $A$-linear maps.

Fermat

Nov 3, 2013
Could you please specify if you mean:

$\text{End}_K(K^2)$
$\text{End}_{\Bbb Z}(K^2)$ or:
$\text{End}_A(K^2)$

as all of these are different structures....

I suspect you mean the latter, that is you want $A$-linear maps.
You suspect correctly.

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Here is my idea (I haven't worked through all the details):

1) Show that any $A$-linear map is a $K$-linear map by using the fact that if:

$(x,y) \in K^2, r\in K, L \in \text{End}_A(K^2)$

$L(r(x,y)) = L(\alpha.(x,y)) = \alpha.L(x,y) = r(L(x,y))$

where $\alpha = \begin{bmatrix}r&0\\0&r \end{bmatrix} \in A$.

This means we can represent an $A$-linear map as multiplication by a 2x2 matrix over $K$.

2) Show such a matrix must lie in $A$.

(hint: it suffices to show the map $(x,y) \mapsto (0,kx)$ (for $k \in K \setminus \{0\}$) is not $A$-linear).

3) Use what you are given in the hint concerning $Z(A)$:

If $L(x,y) = \beta.(x,y)$ for some $\beta \in A$ then $A$-linearity means that:

$\alpha.L(x,y) = L(\alpha.(x,y))$ for ANY $\alpha \in A$

$\alpha.(\beta.(x,y)) = \beta.(\alpha.(x,y))$

$(\alpha\beta).(x,y) = (\beta\alpha).(x,y)$

so that $\alpha\beta = \beta\alpha$, that is: $\beta \in Z(A)$.

Note that you wind up with something *isomorphic* to $K$, not equal to it.

Last edited:

Fermat

Nov 3, 2013
Here is my idea (I haven't worked through all the details):

1) Show that any $A$-linear map is a $K$-linear map by using the fact that if:

$(x,y) \in K^2, r\in K, L \in \text{End}_A(K^2)$

$L(r(x,y)) = L(\alpha.(x,y)) = \alpha.L(x,y) = r(L(x,y))$

where $\alpha = \begin{bmatrix}r&0\\0&r \end{bmatrix} \in A$.

This means we can represent an $A$-linear map as multiplication by a 2x2 matrix over $K$.

2) Show such a matrix must lie in $A$.

(hint: it suffices to show the map $(x,y) \mapsto (0,kx)$ (for $k \in K \setminus \{0\}$) is not $A$-linear).

3) Use what you are given in the hint concerning $Z(A)$:

If $L(x,y) = \beta.(x,y)$ for some $\beta \in A$ then $A$-linearity means that:

$\alpha.L(x,y) = L(\alpha.(x,y))$ for ANY $\alpha \in A$

$\alpha.(\beta.(x,y)) = \beta.(\alpha.(x,y))$

$(\alpha\beta).(x,y) = (\beta\alpha).(x,y)$

so that $\alpha\beta = \beta\alpha$, that is: $\beta \in Z(A)$.

Note that you wind up with something *isomorphic* to $K$, not equal to it.
Hi Deveno, I have been following out a thought of my own (for once) and tried to show that the map $f:K->End_{A}(M)$ given by $f(t)=w_{t}$ where $w_{t}(x,y)=t(x,y)$ is an isomorphism
Its easy to show that $w_{t}$ is in $End_{A}(M)$. So we need to show $f$ is an isomorphism. Well, it's easy to show $f$ is an algebra homomorphism. The only bit I'm struggling with is showing $f$ is surjective.

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Establishing surjectivity is essentially the "whole problem", because: we don't know much specifically about $\text{End}_A(K^2)$.

That is, it is hard to say what a "typical" $A$-linear endomorphism of $K^2$ looks like.

The fact that an isomorphic copy of $K$ lies within $Z(A)$ is trivial, because $A$ is a $K$-algebra.

Fermat

Nov 3, 2013
Establishing surjectivity is essentially the "whole problem", because: we don't know much specifically about $\text{End}_A(K^2)$.

That is, it is hard to say what a "typical" $A$-linear endomorphism of $K^2$ looks like.

The fact that an isomorphic copy of $K$ lies within $Z(A)$ is trivial, because $A$ is a $K$-algebra.
what has the centraliser got to do with surjectivity?

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Ok, to prove your mapping is surjective, you basically have to show that EVERY endomorphism in $\text{End}_A(K^2)$ is of the form $w_t$ (using your notation).

To avoid confusion with the $K$-scalar product, I use $\alpha.(x,y)$ for the $A$-scalar product.

Note that $w_t$ is just the same as multiplying by the $A$ element:

$tI = \begin{bmatrix}t&0\\0&t \end{bmatrix}$.

That is: $w_t(x,y) = t(x,y) = (tI).(x,y)$.

To apply what we know about the centralizer (which is actually kind of a weird thing to call it, since the centralizer of $A$ in $A$ is just the center of $A: Z_A(A) = Z(A)$), we need to know that any $A$-linear map is of the form: $(x,y) \to \alpha.(x,y)$ for some $\alpha \in A$.

An alternative approach: we could use the fact that the centralizer of $A$ in the full $K$-algebra of 2x2 matrices is also $KI$. But to exploit this fact, we need to know FIRST that $A$-linear maps are $K$-linear maps.

But this is easily shown:

For $L \in \text{End}_A(K^2)$ we have:

$tL(x,y) = (tI).L(x,y) = L((tI).(x,y))$ (by $A$-linearity)

$ = L(tx,ty) = L(t(x,y))$.

Now working with $K$-linear maps is much more straight-forward, we already know there is an isomorphism:

$\text{Mat}_{2 \times 2}(K) \cong \text{End}_K(K^2)$

And $A$-linearity imposes upon us the condition that the matrix that represents an $A$-linear map must commute with any matrix representing a $K$-linear map.

If you remain unconvinced, prove to yourself by direct computation that the $K$-linear maps:

$E_{12}:\begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix} \mapsto \begin{bmatrix}0&1\\0&0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix}$

$E_{21}:\begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix} \mapsto \begin{bmatrix}0&0\\1&0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix}$

are not $A$-linear, and that the map:

$k_1E_{11} + k_2E_{22}:\begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix} \mapsto \begin{bmatrix}k_1&0\\0&k_2 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix}$

is $A$-linear if and only if $k_1 = k_2$

(you don't have to check the additive property, since these are $K$-linear, you just have to check the $A$-scalar multiplication).