K.A.Stroud Maths revision question

• Thread starter deian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revision
In summary, the conversation is about a question from the 6th edition of Engineering Mathematics, Programme F2 Intro to Algebra, where the person is struggling with a question in the revision exercise involving fractions. The solution involves finding a common denominator and simplifying the fractions, leading to the final answer of 1/12b*(12a-5). The person thanks the expert for clarifying and mentions that they are still getting used to using LaTeX.
deian

Homework Statement

In 6th edition of Engineering Mathematics, Programme F2 Intro to Algebra, so far I get it all there, but I'm stumped on one question in the revision excercise, it goes like this:

((2a-3)/4b)+((3a+2)/6b)

Homework Equations

He then goes on to break down the answers in the back:

A) 2a/4b - 3/4b + 3a/6b +2/6b
then
B) a/2b - 3/4b + a/2b + 1/3b
then
C) a/b - 5/12b

and finally the answer is
D) 1/12b*(12a-5)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see how the question is re-written the first time round, and then I get the second part where the first division block is divided by 2, the third by 3 and the 4th by 2. The second one can't be made smaller obviously.

But how he gets (a/b)-(5/12b) and then 1/12b*(12a-5) is above me at the moment, I know it's something really basic that I've missed. Can anyone clarify for me please?

Thanks
Deian

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to subtract the fractions a/b and 5/12b, you must have the same denominator. Since there is "b" in both denominators, that is not a problem. But there is "12" in one denominator that is not in the other. you "put" that in the other denominator, of course, by multiplying both numerator and denominator that fraction by 12: [tex]\frac{a}{b}= \frac{12a}{12b}[/tex]

Now the problem is [tex]\frac{a}{b}- \frac{5}{12b}[/tex][tex]= \frac{12a}{12b}- \frac{5}{12b}[/tex][tex]= \frac{12a- 5}{12b}[/tex]

That can be written as [tex]\frac{1}{12b}(12a- 5)[/tex]

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Thanks to you I now know how they get to the final answer from the final stage.

But, how do they get from the 2nd stage:

[tex]\frac{a}{2b}-\frac{3}{4b}+\frac{a}{2b}+\frac{1}{3b}[/tex]

to the 3rd, final stage:

[tex]\frac{a}{b}-\frac{5}{12b}[/tex]

I like this latex thing, bit long winded but i'll get the hang of it soon, didn't think to use it first time round.

Thanks again, knowing that will complete my day. :-)

Related to K.A.Stroud Maths revision question

1. What is "K.A.Stroud Maths revision question"?

"K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" is a book written by Kenneth Arthur Stroud, a renowned mathematician and author. It is a comprehensive guide for students preparing for mathematics exams and covers a wide range of topics in mathematics.

2. Who is the target audience for "K.A.Stroud Maths revision question"?

The target audience for "K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" is primarily students studying mathematics at the high school or undergraduate level. However, it can also be useful for anyone looking to refresh their understanding of basic mathematical concepts.

3. What makes "K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" different from other math revision books?

"K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" is known for its clear and concise explanations, numerous practice questions, and step-by-step solutions. It also covers a wide range of topics, making it a comprehensive resource for students.

4. Can "K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" be used for self-study?

Yes, "K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" is designed for self-study and can be used by students to prepare for exams or to supplement their classroom learning. The book includes detailed explanations and worked examples to help students understand the concepts better.

5. Is "K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" suitable for all levels of mathematics?

"K.A.Stroud Maths revision question" covers a wide range of topics, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus. It is suitable for students at all levels of mathematics, from high school to undergraduate studies. However, it may be more beneficial for those studying at the high school or early undergraduate level.