Justifying the Method of Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, the annihilator method can be used to derive the entries in the following table for the method of undetermined coefficients, familiar to all students of ordinary differential equations:(I) $p_n(x)=a_nx^n+\cdots+a_1x+a_0$$x^sP_n(x)=x^s\left(A_nx^n+\cdots+A_1x+A_0 \right)$(II) $ae^{\alpha x}$$x^sAe^{\alpha x}$(III) $a\cos(\beta x)+b\
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
The annihilator method can be used to derived the entries in the following table for the method of undetermined coefficients, familiar to all students of ordinary differential equations:

Type$g(x)$$y_p(x)$
(I)$p_n(x)=a_nx^n+\cdots+a_1x+a_0$$x^sP_n(x)=x^s\left(A_nx^n+\cdots+A_1x+A_0 \right)$
(II)$ae^{\alpha x}$$x^sAe^{\alpha x}$
(III)$a\cos(\beta x)+b\sin(\beta x)$$x^s\left(A\cos(\beta x)+B\sin(\beta x) \right)$
(IV)$p_n(x)e^{\alpha x}$$x^sP_n(x)e^{\alpha x}$
(V)$p_n(x)\cos(\beta x)+q_m\sin(\beta x)$
where $q_m(x)=b_mx^m+\cdots+b_1x+b_0$
$x^s\left(P_N(x)\cos(\beta x)+Q_N(x)\sin(\beta x) \right)$
where $Q_N(x)=B_Nx^N+\cdots+B_1x+B_0$ and $N=\max(n,m)$
(VI)$ae^{\alpha x}\cos(\beta x)+be^{\alpha x}\sin(\beta x)$$x^s\left(Ae^{\alpha x}\cos(\beta x)+Be^{\alpha x}\sin(\beta x) \right)$
(VII)$p_ne^{\alpha x}\cos(\beta x)+q_me^{\alpha x}\sin(\beta x)$$x^se^{\alpha x}\left(P_N(x)\cos(\beta x)+Q_N(x)\sin(\beta x) \right)$
where $N=\max(n,m)$

Notes:

The non-negative integer $s$ is chosen to be the smallest integer so that no term in the particular solution $y_p(x)$ is a solution to the corresponding homogeneous solution $L[y](x)=0$.

$P_n(x)$ must include all its terms even if $p_n(x)$ has some terms that are zero.

To show this, it suffices to work with type VII functions--that is, functions of the form:

(1) \(\displaystyle g(x)=p_n(x)e^{\alpha x}\cos(\beta x)+q_m(x)e^{\alpha x}\sin(\beta x)\)

where $p_n$ and $q_m$ are polynomials of degrees $n$ and $m$ respectively--since the other types listed in the table are just special cases of (1).

Consider the inhomogeneous equation:

(2) \(\displaystyle L[y](x)=g(x)\)

where $L$ is the linear operator:

(3) \(\displaystyle L\equiv a_nD^{n}+a_{n-1}D^{n-1}+\cdots+a_1D+a_0\)

with $a_n,\,a_{n-1},\,\cdots\,a_0$ constants, and $g(x)$ as given in equation (1). Let $N=\max(n,m)$.

Now, we need to find an annihilator for $g$. If we consider the function:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=e^{\alpha x}\sin(\beta x)\)

we find that:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=e^{\alpha x}\left(\alpha\sin(\beta x)+\beta\cos(\beta x) \right)\)

\(\displaystyle f''(x)=e^{\alpha x}\left(\left(\alpha^2-\beta^2 \right)\sin(\beta x)+2\alpha\beta\cos(\beta x) \right)\)

If we observe that:

\(\displaystyle f''(x)-2\alpha f'(x)+\left(\alpha^2+\beta^2 \right)f(x)=0\)

then we may state that:

\(\displaystyle D^2-2\alpha D+\alpha^2+\beta^2=(D-\alpha)^2+\beta^2\)

annihilates $f(x)$, and so we conclude that:

\(\displaystyle A\equiv\left((D-\alpha)^2+\beta^2 \right)^{N+1}\)

annihilates $g$.

Now, we need to find the auxiliary equation associated with:

\(\displaystyle AL[y]=0\)

\(\displaystyle \left((D-\alpha)^2+\beta^2 \right)^{N+1}\left(a_nD^n+a_{n-1}D^{n-1}+\cdots+a_0 \right)=0\)

Suppose $0\le s$ is the multiplicity of the roots $\alpha\pm\beta i$ of the auxiliary equation associated with $L[y]=0$, and $r=2_{2s+1}\,\cdots\,r_n$ are the remaining roots, then we have:

(4) \(\displaystyle \left((r-\alpha)^2+\beta^2 \right)^{s+N+1}\left(r-r_{2s+1} \right)\,\cdots\,\left(r-r_n \right)=0\)

Now, as the solution to \(\displaystyle AL[y]=0\) can be written in the form:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x)\)

and we must have:

\(\displaystyle y_h(x)=p_{s+1}(x)e^{\alpha x}\left(\cos(\beta x)+\sin(\beta x) \right)+\sum_{k=2s+1}^n e^{k}\)

then we may conclude that:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=x^se^{\alpha x}\left(P_N(x)\cos(\beta x)+Q_N\sin(\beta x) \right)\)

Questions and comments should be posted here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/commentary-threads-53/commentary-justifying-method-undetermined-coefficients-4840.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This topic is for questions and comments pertaining to this tutorial:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/justifying-method-undetermined-coefficients-4839.html

Good stuff! Just a couple of minor edits I'd recommend:

1. In the table, in the $y_{p}(x)$ column for Type I's, an $x^{s}$ seems to have become an $x^{2}$.

2. I would rewrite Equation (3) as follows (you haven't really used operator notation, but have included the test function in your definition of $L$, which is not usual):
$$(3) \quad L[y] \equiv a_nD^{n}+ a_{n-1}D^{n-1}+ \cdots+ a_{1}D+ a_0.$$
You do this later on, so this is more of a consistency thing, I think.

Thank you! For some reason, I want to enter a 2 instead of an s. I appreciate you catching this!

Your suggestion of being consistent with operator notation is an excellent one.

I have made both edits. (Sun)

Hehe. Actually, I'm not sure I was consistent just then! You could either write
$$L \equiv a_{n}D^{n}+a_{n-1}D^{n-1}+ \dots + a_{1}D + a_{0},$$
or
$$L[y] = \left( a_{n}D^{n}+a_{n-1}D^{n-1}+ \dots + a_{1}D + a_{0} \right)y.$$

I prefer the first notation. This was a group project taken from my old ODE textbook, and the original notation came from there (notice how I am "passing the buck?"). (Rofl)

I truly appreciate your suggestions, and feel the post has been improved because of them. (Rock)

Related to Justifying the Method of Undetermined Coefficients

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used in mathematics and physics to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. It involves assuming a solution of a specific form and then determining the coefficients that will satisfy the equation.

2. When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is typically used when the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation is made up of simple functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, or trigonometric functions. It is not applicable for more complicated non-homogeneous terms.

3. How does the method of undetermined coefficients work?

The method of undetermined coefficients works by assuming a particular solution of the form y = Ax^n + Bx^(n-1) + ... + K, where A, B, ..., K are constants to be determined. This solution is then substituted into the original differential equation, and the coefficients are solved for by equating corresponding terms on both sides.

4. What are the advantages of using the method of undetermined coefficients?

One advantage of using the method of undetermined coefficients is that it is a relatively straightforward and efficient way to find particular solutions to non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It also does not require any knowledge of the general solution to the homogeneous equation.

5. What are some limitations of the method of undetermined coefficients?

One limitation of the method of undetermined coefficients is that it only works for a specific set of non-homogeneous terms and is not applicable for more complex terms. It also may not work for equations with repeated roots or when the non-homogeneous term is a solution to the homogeneous equation.