Justifying choices of components

In summary, when selecting components for a switching circuit for an SRM, it is important to compare and justify each component chosen. Factors such as current handling, voltage, power dissipation, gain, package, price, and availability should be considered. Data sheets can provide useful information for making these justifications and ultimately selecting the most suitable components for the application.
nothing909

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing a project involving the build of a switching circuit for an SRM.

I have to choose a variety of components for each stage of the build. For example, I chose an open collector for the interface device, an optocoupler for the isolation device and an IGBT for the switching device.

I have to compare different components and then justify why I picked the one over the other.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Each component I picked would be suitable for the application so how do I justify choosing one over the other? Is there anything I should look for in data sheets that give some components an advantage over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
SRM = Switched Reluctance Motor?

nothing909 said:
Each component I picked would be suitable for the application so how do I justify choosing one over the other?

I would argue it's not possible to select suitable devices without justifying one over another.

All they are asking is why that component is suitable for the application. Why choose a 10A fuse instead of a 100A fuse? There are lots of IGBT, which one and why? What current does the IGBT have to handle? Voltage? Power dissipation? Gain? Package? Price? Multiple sources?

Related to Justifying choices of components

1. What factors should be considered when justifying choices of components?

When justifying choices of components, it is important to consider factors such as cost, availability, compatibility, performance, and reliability. These factors can help ensure that the chosen components will meet the requirements and constraints of the project.

2. How do you determine the best components for a project?

The best components for a project can be determined by conducting thorough research on various options and evaluating their specifications, features, and reviews. It is also important to consider the specific needs and requirements of the project, as well as any budget or time constraints.

3. What role does testing play in justifying choices of components?

Testing plays a critical role in justifying choices of components as it helps to verify the performance and reliability of the selected components. Through testing, any potential issues or limitations can be identified and addressed before the components are implemented in the project.

4. Can justifying choices of components impact the success of a project?

Absolutely, justifying choices of components can have a significant impact on the success of a project. Choosing the right components can ensure that the project meets its requirements and functions effectively, while choosing the wrong components can lead to delays, malfunctions, or failure of the project.

5. How do you effectively communicate the justification for chosen components?

To effectively communicate the justification for chosen components, it is important to provide clear and concise explanations of the factors considered, the decision-making process, and the expected benefits of the chosen components. Visual aids, such as charts or graphs, can also be helpful in illustrating the justification. It is also important to address any potential concerns or questions from stakeholders.